Re: question about "innocence of muslims" film controversy

  • Arun
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2012
      Kripal, Doniger, etc., try to put the prestige of the social sciences behind their claims about Ramakrishna, Ganesha, etc. - they are making a specific kind of truth-claim.

      The "Innocence of Muslims" is more like a fish-wive yelling nasty epithets at the passers-by.

      -Arun

      --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, "ParthaK" <partha_kaushik@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > a lot has been said and written about this controversy, Balu himself wrote an article about it in 'The Standard' newspaper.
      >
      > When kripal and doniger wrote about ramakrishna, ganesha etc, balu wrote that their argumentation inflicts violence upon the experiential world of the 'hindus'.
      >

      > Does a film like "innocence of muslims" inflict violence on the experiential world of the muslims?
      >
      > I'm probably completely off the mark with this questioning, but I was just wondering and would like some clarification
      >
      > thanks.

    • vnr1995
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2012
        Balu's new book has more on violence and dialogues. Many might have read
        chapters 4 and 5 as articles before. Chapter 7 expands on what Balu wrote
        here:

        "Consider now the situation that we (Sarah and I) sketch in our article on
        Dialogue and violence. (Since you have already read the article, I do not
        quite see why my question should be 'disorienting'.) Here, we show how a
        reasonable attempt to resolve differences through a rational dialogue
        generates, feeds and sustains violence. I am inclined to think (encouraged
        in this direction by Ashok Dhareshwar, who pointed this out to me first)
        that there is a very important and fundamental 'theorem' lurking somewhere
        in the vicinity of this article, even though I have so far failed to
        formulate it at the required level of generality. There are many results
        that surprise me in this article. Let me notice just two: (a) the
        requirements of reason conflict with the requirements of morality; (b) the
        requirements of reason perverts the cause of justice. (There are more, but
        they are not necessary for this post.) I have failed to discover
        inconsistencies in this article so far; equally, I have failed to identify
        the premises that lead me to these and allied conclusions. (So, if anyone
        can help me, I will be most grateful.)"

        5: India and Her Traditions: An Open Letter to Jeffrey Kripal
        6: Are Dialogues an Antidote to Violence?
        7: Intercultural Encounters, Reasonable Dialogues, and Normative Political
        Theory