Re: Blindness(?)

  • koenraad_elst
    Message 1 of 46 , Jan 3, 2011
      Jakob,

      Have you checked how this argument by Augustine against idols was used and answered in the Byzantine struggle between iconoclasts and iconodoules? How the Catholic Church dealt with it, as it could also be used against e.g. the depiction of Christ on the cross for worship in catholic (unlike in Protestant) Churches? Or is this a case where churchmen are good at spotting the contradictions and irrationalities in other religions but not in their own?

      Thanks,

      KE

      > There are people who declare, Augustine warned his readers, "I worship neither
      > an idol nor a demon, but I regard the image as a physical sign of what I ought
      > to worship" (that is, God or the Supreme Being). Such people, he said, "think
      > themselves practitioners of a purer religion," but they fail to realize that "by
      > paying divine honors to the things signified they are serving a creature rather
      > than the creator, who is blessed for ever." In other words, Christians only have
      > to turn to the pages of Saint Augustine (354-430) to give a deadly reply to the
      > arguments that the Hindu American Foundation and other similar groups provide in
      > the 21st century about the so-called 'idolatry' and 'polytheism' of Hindus.
      >
      > Yours
      >
      > Jakob
    • somasushma
      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 14, 2011
        >Heathens are those who have no
        >idea that the Cosmos is an EI entity.

        What is the justification for this? Can you justify this statement based on direct citation from the standard Astika texts such as the upaniShad-s or the purANa-s?