Can Reason Withstand the Death of God?

  • Arun
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2010
      After pondering and pondering over this, I cannot understand the point of the essay "Can Reason Withstand the Death of God?"

      http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/postmodernconservative/2010/03/26/can-reason-withstand-the-death-of-god/

      To me, it seems that

      1. Our minds are limited - no matter how our minds came to be.
      2. The limits of what we can know can be found only by trying to know - it cannot be determined theoretically.

      Perhaps atheists replace the "mind of God" with the "mind of man" and display the certainty that the old theologians did (e.g., in propositions such as the Bible is the word of God).

      The Upanishads talk of some certainties expressed in the mahavakyas (Tat Tvam Asi, etc.) but the way I see it, I cannot call this knowledge unless I have realized it - not as a philosophical proposition or theorem but as experiential truth. In particular, if I have realized this truth, it will be impossible for me to act contrary to it.

      Anyway, my confusion is why I never became a philosopher.
    • Arun
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2010