Casting Faiths: Imperialism and the Transformation of Religion in......Asia

  • Arun
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2010
      Someone on another forum sent me this information on a new book:

      Casting Faiths: Imperialism and the Transformation of Religion in East and Southeast Asia
      Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan | ISBN: 0230221580 | edition 2009 | 320 pages|

      How did European imperialism shape the ideas and practices of religion in East and Southeast Asia? Casting Faiths brings together eleven scholars to show how Western law, governance, education and mission shaped the basic understanding of what religion is, and what role it should play in society. But as these essays show,Western ideas were not always imposed at gunpoint. In places like Burma or Indonesia, many of these changes were initiated by European imperialism . Yet they also reached places like China, which was never colonized, and Japan, which had an empire of its own. And decades after the empires were dismantled, we can still see their effects in Asian societies today.