Re: World views (was: Hindu approach to alcoholics anonymus)

  • indigenous1985
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 1 7:05 PM
      --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, vnr1995 <vnr1995@...> wrote:

      > Anyway, just adding a link to Balu's posting to not let this thread hang in mid-air.

      Reviving this thread to better understand some of the stuff from the link. It says:

      "However, when these elements from a Christian world view migrate to
      non-religious cultures, then such elements cease being parts of a
      world view (because such a world view is not present in the other
      culture). Instead they now belong to certain domain theories, each of
      which is a partial description of a slice of the world."

      What exactly is a domain theory? Wiki says it is something to do with math but I don't think this is what is meant here. Does it mean things like sociology, psychology etc.?

      Further:

      "`Secular' thinking people in the West (freethinkers, atheists, etc)
      believe that they have a world view. When pressed to say what it is,
      they come up with claims from several domain theories (like, say, the
      need for secularism and religious toleration). We can understand the
      situation now. Religion can also be described as a world view. These
      claims make some `deep' sense because they are parts of the world view
      (only because of that do they make sense). However, these `secular'
      people think that they are not religious. Therefore, they cannot
      identify their world view (religion under another description; they
      are not believers and thereforeĀ…). Thus, they come up with claims that
      appear to belong to domain theories (`all human beings are equal').
      When you draw their attention to this fact, they are both convinced
      that such claims belong to their world views and yet they cannot
      refute the fact that such claims belong to partial descriptions of
      slices of the world. Hence the unease."

      What is the problem with "partial descriptions of slices of the world." Is it that it is not a comprehensive world view?

      Still further:

      "In order to build a theory about world views, we first need to come to grips with the process of secularization of Christianity in the West. That is what we are working on. At the moment, we have a richer
      understanding of this process than I had when I wrote `The Heathen..'.
      We are now able identify, for instance, that religious violence is a
      necessary component of the process of secularisation;"

      What bearing would this have in the Indian context? Also, this cannot be used as an argument against secularism in general because religious violence would probably be worse without secularism.
    • vnr1995
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 2 11:30 PM
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheHeathenInHisBlindness/message/1532

        The above post will help your clarify some of doubts, I believe.

        Indian secularism debates ( taking some or another stance wrt religion is a
        private affair) is an instance of the the process of secularization of an
        empirical religion which Christianity is. Religion does not depend upon any
        antecedents (for instance, the rationality of John Horgan while ditching
        Buddhism). However, when it exists among human beings, it is constrained.
        Secularization is a process that tries to get rid of many such constraints.
        We also need to distinguish the secularization of *the* religion and that of
        *a* religion as well to understand whats going on.