Re: ritual problem

  • sadananda_2001
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2008
      ----I would like to share my experience of being a part of a
      tradition that prcticed 'MaDi' and 'Mailige'. Our elders who insisted
      that we practice them, atleast within the domain of our family, also
      told us many stories whose heros and heroins achived respectable
      status in our spiritual domain by violating such practices. Remember,
      such stories were narrated with all seriousness and also with an
      intention that we should be able to emulate them. Nevertheless the
      contradiction did not bother them a wee bit. If we assume that
      rituals are guided by some moral rules of the caste system, and
      stories as disguised morals then we were being fed with different
      morals that contradict one another. If we accept this then the only
      conclusion possible is: all of us who are born and brought up in that
      tradition are nothing but hyppocrites. Are we?
      Janekere

      --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, Kranthikeshvara K
      <kranthikesvara@...> wrote:

      > <quote>
      > 8) In the incident cited by Krantikesvara, money was asked from
      the Christian father as a fine for his servant's violation of the
      practice. This was a tappudanda or tappukanike which was given to
      the village temple, it was one of the revenues of the temples. It was
      not an alternative measure to purifying the well, the latter task
      wasnecessary as a part of purification of the water.
      > <unquote>
      >

      > Dear Rajaram, not surprisingly, my experience of "maDi" is the same
      as yours.

      > By using the well of the Lingayats, Layer's servant made the
      water "mailige" or "impure". Here the state of impurity must not be
      equated to the state of being unclean. In Layer's anecdote, we don't
      come across any mention of the servant being unclean either by Layer
      or in the complaint of the Lingayats. The physical state of being
      clean had no effect on how Lingayats perceived his act. To them he
      had violated the state of purity of the well just as the act of
      touching my father on the occassion of my grandfather's shrAddha
      would have violated his purity. My father would become angry with me
      if I touched him purposefully. He would be unhappy but not angry if
      I accidentally touched him. In both cases, he would purify himself
      by taking bath again. Note that it did not matter whether I was clean
      or unclean when I touched him. The notion of purity had nothing to do
      with cleanliness all though the act of restoring purity was that of
      taking bathe. On the
      > occasion of his father's shrAddha, until some point in the ritual,
      he was pure and I was not.

      > The notion of impurity in a ritual such as shrAddha must not be
      equated with dirtiness. Similarly, the notion of untouchability in
      the context of Layer's anecdote must not be equated to any notion of
      caste inferiority, perhaps.

      > What I don't fully understand is this: why were people belonging to
      the caste of Layer's servant viewed by the Lingayats as always impure
      when it came to taking water from their well? Perhaps this also has
      nothing do with any notion of caste inferiority. I have seen some
      families which refuse to eat food cooked by any one other than a pure
      family member. However, they did not necessarily view others as
      inferior.

      > Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on
      http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/

    • vnr1995
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008

        > What is Pooja? Is it a�ritual - meaningless, purposeless ...?

        Check

      • Mayank Shekhar
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008
          Thanks - long chain to read!

          Mayank

          > What is Pooja? Is it a�ritual - meaningless, purposeless ...?

          Check

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/TheHeathen InHisBlindness/ message/99

        • Mayank Shekhar
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 7, 2008
            Well, the ritual part was not actualy long. and well explained.

            We are talking of someone's (fellows of God, not fallen from God) experience when we attribute the meaningless, purposeless et all. And then heathens come back to attribute a meaning and purpose. In Prof. Balu's argument as I understand, in this context, the intent, purpose and meaning to a performer (heathen) is irrelevant.

            However, quite a few posts question and answer in heathen's perspective and attempt to attribute meaning and purpose.

            Mayank