Bollywood-style music video: disgraceful against Hinduism?

  • wimdewinter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      Dear all,

      I came upon an interesting link to a music video by Devendra Banhart,
      who uses a bollywood-style format with some sort of humour, mixed with
      references to Indian culture & what can appear to be Indian hinduist
      concepts.

      The interesting thing that struck me here was the fact that the song in
      itself is quite catchy (but we are not discussing music here :) ), and
      the video content can be perceived as quite humorous. However, one
      reaction went as follows:

      "This has been one of the most disgraceful video against Hinduism. You
      should be ashamed to scoop that low ….and what was the point you were
      trying to make?
      This only shows ignorance and it is portrayed in a disgusting way.
      Learn the facts first! This video shows racism and is very offensive."

      This post struck me, being from the West, as a quite shocking statement.
      I was wondering what some of you here on these boards think? Is it
      an 'overreaction' or is the video really that offensive? Can you
      explain some of the misunderstandings or ignorance that are hinted at?

      I'll post you the link as well: the video's on top and below that are
      the comments:
      http://naturalismo.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/devendra-banhart-music-
      video-for-carmencita/#comments

      Warm greetings,