Re: Article: Are Dialogues Antidotes to Violence?

  • macgupta123
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2008
      Kripal had written on RISA that he felt colonized and conquered when
      he encountered the Indic traditions, and his study of Ramakrishna
      Paramahamsa was a response to that. Without detracting in any way
      from the substance of your paper, I do not agree that Kripal was
      acting in good faith. He and his methods have to be examined with the
      same care as anyone else who is attempting to overthrow something that
      conquered and colonized him.

      -Arun

      "sarahclaerhout" <sarah.claerhout@...> wrote:

      > Dear fellow heathens,
      >
      > The article "Are Dialogues Antidotes to Violence? Two Recent Examples
      > from Hinduism Studies" has recently been published by the Journal for
      > the Study of Religions and Ideologies.
      >
      > This is the link to the page where you can download the article:
      > http://www.jsri.ro/new/?Current_issue
      >
      > Enjoy it.
      >
      > Yours,
      > sarah

    • vnr1995
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        Kripal claims that he wants to understand Indian traditions. If one
        adds certain assumptions, whether disputable or not, to the foregoing,
        one can claim that he acted in good (bad) faith. The latter enterprise
        is all about concretization. What Balu and Sarah did in that paper is
        idealization. In order to explain all sundry facts about Kripal, and
        whatever he said on various forums, in addition to the facts that Balu
        picked up, more knowledge is required, but not a set of adhoc
        explanations of the type "He said X, because Y"

        On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 10:13 PM, macgupta123 <macgupta123@...> wrote:

        > Kripal had written on RISA that he felt colonized and conquered when
        > he encountered the Indic traditions, and his study of Ramakrishna
        > Paramahamsa was a response to that. Without detracting in any way
        > from the substance of your paper, I do not agree that Kripal was
        > acting in good faith. He and his methods have to be examined with the
        > same care as anyone else who is attempting to overthrow something that
        > conquered and colonized him.
        >
        > -Arun
        >

        > "sarahclaerhout" <sarah.claerhout@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear fellow heathens,
        > >
        > > The article "Are Dialogues Antidotes to Violence? Two Recent Examples
        > > from Hinduism Studies" has recently been published by the Journal for
        > > the Study of Religions and Ideologies.
        > >
        > > This is the link to the page where you can download the article:
        > > http://www.jsri.ro/new/?Current_issue
        > >
        > > Enjoy it.
        > >
        > > Yours,
        > > sarah
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • macgupta123
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
          It is because I'm talking about Kripal only that I can be ad hoc.
          I see Balu and Sarah as talking about a phenomenon in general.

          "In general Info.Tech. managers have a motive to expand their
          empires [explanation of motive] and so hire a lot of people.
          In this specific case, the hiring was from nepotism." The last
          one is ad hoc, but does not detract from the possibility of it
          being true.

          -Arun

          --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, vnr1995
          <vnr1995@...> wrote:

          > Kripal claims that he wants to understand Indian traditions. If one
          > adds certain assumptions, whether disputable or not, to the
          foregoing,
          > one can claim that he acted in good (bad) faith. The latter
          enterprise
          > is all about concretization. What Balu and Sarah did in that paper
          is
          > idealization. In order to explain all sundry facts about Kripal,
          and
          > whatever he said on various forums, in addition to the facts that
          Balu
          > picked up, more knowledge is required, but not a set of adhoc
          > explanations of the type "He said X, because Y"
          >

          > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 10:13 PM, macgupta123 <macgupta123@...>
          wrote:

          > > Kripal had written on RISA that he felt colonized and conquered
          when
          > > he encountered the Indic traditions, and his study of
          Ramakrishna
          > > Paramahamsa was a response to that. Without detracting in any
          way
          > > from the substance of your paper, I do not agree that Kripal was
          > > acting in good faith. He and his methods have to be examined
          with the
          > > same care as anyone else who is attempting to overthrow
          something that
          > > conquered and colonized him.
          > >
          > > -Arun
          > >

          > > "sarahclaerhout" <sarah.claerhout@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Dear fellow heathens,
          > > >
          > > > The article "Are Dialogues Antidotes to Violence? Two Recent
          Examples
          > > > from Hinduism Studies" has recently been published by the
          Journal for
          > > > the Study of Religions and Ideologies.
          > > >
          > > > This is the link to the page where you can download the
          article:
          > > > http://www.jsri.ro/new/?Current_issue
          > > >
          > > > Enjoy it.
          > > >
          > > > Yours,
          > > > sarah
          > > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • vnr1995
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
            The analogy you offered doesn't work. First, because they are
            different questions: Why companies are on the hiring binge, rather
            than produce more value out of the existing labor? Why some manager
            has hired his relatives rather than non-relatives?

            People have given adhoc explanation for the first question as well; in
            fact, some schools of economics make livings out of such explanations.
            However, Marx's theories not only explain the first fact (that
            companies are expanding), but also explain some other facts (like
            expansion and crises are not accidental) as well; but his theory won't
            explain why some Tom hires some of his buddies rather than others.
            That the latter fact is not explained by some theory is not criticism
            at all.

          • macgupta123
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8, 2008
              vnr1995 <vnr1995@...> wrote:

              > The analogy you offered doesn't work. First, because they are
              > different questions: Why companies are on the hiring binge, rather
              > than produce more value out of the existing labor? Why some manager
              > has hired his relatives rather than non-relatives?

              You even misunderstood the analogy. IT managers tend to try to get
              company resources for unproductive purposes. Nothing to do with
              companies expanding. In fact, if the IT manager is given leeway, the
              company will permanently vanish.

              The point is that a one-of- explanation can be valid along side with a
              general theory as well.

              -Arun