I hope this is not wrong :)

  • macgupta123
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      The availability of "The Heathen..." in ebook form has encouraged me
      to go around posting comments of the following form, e.g., on the
      physics blog

      http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/11/25/turtles-much-of-the-way-down/

      Quote:
      Human beings have a natural tendency to look for meaning and
      purpose out there in the universe.
      End quote.

      Actually, meaning and purpose questions can be posed only in a
      religious framework (religion here indicates a system with
      Christianity as an exemplar); and cultures that don't have religion
      (e.g., Buddhism is not a religion) don't pose "meaning of life" questions.

      Therefore human beings don't have a natural tendency to look for
      meaning and purpose in the universe, because those questions did not
      arise universally, but only in religious cultures, simultaneous with
      or after the rise of the religion.

      (The idea that religion is a human cultural universal is a nice
      piece of theology masquerading as knowledge, the argument is too big
      to fit in the margin, but the argument is now available on the web in
      the ebook here:

      http://colonial.consciousness.googlepages.com/theheatheninhisblindness
      )