Hollywood film on how Christ fought caste in India

  • Dunkin Jalki
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2007
      New spin: Christ fought caste in India

      From Randeep Ramesh, The Guardian, New Delhi:

      Hollywood is to fill in The Bibles "missing years" with a story about
      Jesus as a wandering mystic who travelled across India, living in
      Buddhist monasteries and speaking out against the iniquities of the
      countrys caste system.

      Film producers have delved deep into revisionist scholarship to piece
      together what they say was Jesus's life between the ages of 13 and 30,
      a period untouched by the recognised gospels.

      The result is the Aquarian Gospel, a $20 million movie, which portrays
      Jesus as a holy man and teacher inspired by a myriad of eastern
      religions in India. The Aquarian Gospel takes its name from a
      century-old book that examined Christianity's eastern roots and is in
      its 53rd reprint.

      The film's producers say the movie will be shot using actors and
      computer animation and will follow the travels of Yeshua, believed to
      be the name for Jesus in Aramaic, from the Middle East to India.
      Casting for suitable Bollywood and Hollywood actors has begun.

      "The Bible devotes just seven words to the most formative years of
      Yeshua's life saying: `The boy grew in wisdom and stature'," points
      Drew Heriot, the film's director, whose credits include the cult hit
      The Secret.

      The film, which is due for release in 2009, sets out to be a fantasy
      action adventure account of Jesus's life with the three wise men as
      his mentors. Although the producers say the film will feature a "young
      and beautiful" princess, it is not clear whether Jesus is to have a
      love interest.

      Commercial gains

      The producers say they are hoping for commercial and spiritual gains.
      "We think that Indian religions and Buddhism, especially with the idea
      of meditation, played a big part in Christ's thinking," said William
      Sees Keenan, the producer.

      "We are looking at new themes. In our story Jesus was loyal to the
      untouchables (in India) and he defended them with his life by saying
      that everyone could read the Vedas (Hindu holy books)," said Keenan, a
      "lapsed Catholic".

      The Catholic church in India dismisses the film as just "Hollywood
      filmmakers in search of a new audience rather than the truth". Aware
      that religious passions are easily inflamed, after the Da Vinci Code
      film sparked protests among Indian Christians, its spokesman said that
      a movie about Jesus in India was plainly "fantasy and fiction".

      "I have personally investigated many of these claims and they remain
      what they first seem: fiction," said John Dayal, president of the All
      India Catholic Union which represents 16 million churchgoers. "I am
      sure it will make money but I do not think it will displace thousands
      of years of Biblical thought."

      http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Nov202007/foreign2007111936665.asp