Re: superstition

  • vnr1995
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 1, 2007
      Shanmukha,

      There is always a gap between what one wants to do or says, and what
      will happen. Either this gap cannot be hypocrisy or hypocrisy refers
      to every thing or hypocrisy looses the force.

      The other way to look at the issue: how norms (how X ought to be) came
      into being? What kind of role they play? Do norms exist in
      non-religious cultures? etc.

      --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, "shanmukha24"
      <shanmukha24@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      > Some interesting questions arise in the account given by Mr.Santosh.
      > Reformers like K.C.Sen and Ranade appear to be hypocrites because
      > they are not able to practice in their own life what they preach to
      > the others. Such examples are plenty in the history of social
      > reforms movement in India. The question that arises now is: Do we
      > find similar examples in a society structured by religion? If the
      > answer to this question is negative then it appears this is the
      > problem typical of a society governed by traditions. We need more
      > reflections on this.
      > Shanmukha
    • amrutha_om
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 5, 2007
        Thank you sir,
        I know something about configuration of learning and culture,. Sir,
        my doubt is that-is there any relation between configuration of
        learning, culture and understanding of intentions. Pl. claryfy my
        doubt

        Amrutha

        --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, "vnr1995"
        <vnr1995@...> wrote:

        > Dear Amrutha,
        >
        > One thing is certain: we can answer (negative) questions like "why
        one
        > could not achieve what one intended?", "why one will not achieve
        what
        > one intends?"
        >
        > As known, we can appeal to some factors in the world in answering
        > these questions. For instance, think of Indians accusing the west
        of
        > being racist and eurocentrist. Many Indian Americans in the US sell
        > this explanation, thereby receiving appaluse from the fellow
        Indians
        > and spreading the same junk to the audience. However, the majority
        of
        > those who these Indians have accused of had *good* intentions. That
        > is, these western scholars felt they were not racist or
        eurocentric.
        > How to explain their negative portrayals of other cultures, despite
        > their good intentions? The world that comes in between their well
        > intentions and their trying to understand the other, contains the
        > secularized theology.
        >
        > When people like Rajiv Malhotra are criticized, many Hindus point
        out
        > that people like Rajiv doesn't have bad intentions or that he does
        > have good intentions. But the latter answer is not defensible:
        people
        > (either western scholars or a Rajiv) can be criticized, despite
        their
        > good intentions, based on what lies in between their intentions and
        > what they wanted to achieve.
        >
        > Is it possible to find what factors that come in between our
        > intentions and results? I do not know. What is important to us:
        these