Re: Paganism unlimited

  • ss
    Message 1 of 95 , Nov 1, 2005
      --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, "vnr1995"
      <vnr1995@y...> wrote:

      > --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, "ss"
      > <satyasarma@h...> wrote:
      > > What I was trying to say was that religious cultures might well have
      > > originated within pagan societies.
      >
      > This could also mean that pagans before the existence of Judaism had
      > some questions to which Judaism qua religion is an answer. Religion
      > did not answer any questions, and the questions (like meaning of life)
      > it brings in can only be raised in religion; religion doesn't answer
      > the questions it has raised.

      --It's interesting when you pitch it at the level of religion as that
      which generates a configuration of learning. In a very simplistic
      sense, learning involves raising some questions and finding their
      answers. So, which questions you ask, how you ask them etc. are a
      function of the learning process itself.

      So far we have been looking at religion as something that generates a
      configuration of learning. But, from what you say above, we can think
      of it from the other side as well. The questions that make sense to
      ask in a way lead one to end up with religion.

      Does this not mean the questions which did not make sense to the
      pagans now start making sense?

      Take for instance a pagan converted to religion. To one or the other
      degree (depending on how much his "pagan" configuration of learning
      persists), a different set of questions start making sense to him.

      When viewed at this level, it does not make sense to ask whether man
      "invented" religion or God made religion any longer.
    • sandeepak_k
      Message 95 of 95 , Nov 20, 2005
        --- In TheHeathenInHisBlindness@yahoogroups.com, "indigenous1985"
        <indigenous1985@y...> wrote:
        > Welcome to the club!! As I read all these posts and the questions
        > and answers, I have to say I marvel at Balu's patience. All of
        > these questions have been addressed multiple times on this very
        > board, and answered many times. In fact, most of the answers are
        > right there in The Heathen. So what is it about these concepts
        that
        > they don't stick? There are flashes when everything is clear and
        > logical. But then we go right back to completely missing the point.
        >
        > Maybe we should have a bullet point version of the Heathen, or a
        > children's version or something?

        Dear Divya,
        Until recently, whenever I used to pray 'God' to solve my problems,
        I was not able to reconcile this: If 'His' will is to see me in
        trouble, why would 'He' help me ? Today, with the realization
        of 'gods but no God', Iam able to ask god to intervene in my
        affairs.EI, which was once a hindrance to my bhakthi is no more,
        today.

        The 'Heathen..' structures our experience.Such internalization is
        possible by raising and discussing these questions a hundred times
        if required.Truth though contained in the book is not one's own.
        often times, the way it is put across,our cirucmstances, and
        experiences that one is going through play a part in making it one's
        own.

        Regards

        Sandeepak