OT - Phone call to my Dad...

  • Flying Pig
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
      OT - Phone call to my Dad...

      My father, who used to be, first, a Grumman Avenger Navy pilot during WWII,
      and, 50 years later, a private pilot, is in the landing pattern, wheels down
      and locked, landing lights on, and the runway lights have come on for his
      final transfer.

      It was thus that I used all the flight analogies in my presumed final phone
      call to him over Skype, the medium which my sister was using to allow family
      members to see him during calls. As it turned out, my sister was there, and
      had the video on so we could see him. Unfortunately, I got her skype call
      just as I was beginning the working day, so wasn't prepared, and had an
      interrupted (help coming in) and somewhat disjointed call. I remedied that
      by calling back later after properly preparing my call.

      He'd long ago instructed us that in these foreseen end days (he's dying,
      essentially, from the effects of dementia, where the brain gradually forgets
      how to do anything, starting with the usual "can't remember" stuff which
      happens to us all as we age, down to remembering how to eat, and,
      eventually, to even breathe), to speak to him as though he was fully
      "there". Evidently, he was right, as he moved his shoulder as I spoke, in
      both cases, whereas he's otherwise "resting comfortably" - which is to say,
      virtually inert.

      Here's what I said in my "prepared" call:

      Hi, Dad,

      This is your son, Skip.

      I see you're in the waiting room for your final flight. The angels are
      assembling to carry you to heaven so you can be with Mom. Your brother Bob
      and your sister Betty have set up the arrival lounge to accommodate all the
      others who are eagerly awaiting your arrival.

      I know it will be a great trip. What a great ride that will be, with angels
      all around you, giving you the greatest view of the trip.

      I expect that Mom will be playing her pedal organ with welcoming music,
      accompanying the choir assembled for you. I wish that I could be there to
      lend my voice, but I'll be there with you soon enough, and we'll harmonize!

      All my life, you and Mom made it very clear that heaven was "THE" place to
      be, and there's not a doubt in this world that you've earned the right to be
      there. I expect that the fitting room already has your wings ready, for
      you're surely among the angels in my life.

      Just one example has been the lifestyle we're in now. Not only did you fully
      accept and love Lydia, my cousin who's now my wife, your annual Christmas
      gifts, over time, entirely paid for our new home, the Morgan sailboat Flying
      Pig, along with all the improvements we've made to it over the years. Every
      time we raise our sails, we think of you, as it was your annual gifts which
      allowed us to get new sails.

      On your trip, Dad, if you see this strange looking animal off to the side,
      it will be Flying Pig riding along as your wingman. However, with all the
      angels doing the transport, he'll be just along for the ride, saluting his
      benefactor.

      For that matter, I have no doubt that there will be a virtual armada of
      others flying along in formation, as you've benefited thousands in your time
      on earth. As you look around, you'll be surrounded by all those support
      craft. You won't really need any support, but they'll be your honor guard on
      the way to your new home.

      Thanks again for all you've done for me in my 66 years. Flight Services is
      reporting CAVU and brilliant sun, with no wind. All that sun heating the
      ground makes for great thermals, which will make for a swift ascent. Have a
      great trip! I'll talk to you again soon.

      Bye!

      He's been in Hospice for a week or so, which is a very good thing. He's
      been preparing for his "soft landing" - the analogy he's used in the past as
      this time approached - for years, even before dementia set in, and
      everything was already in place for him to go.

      All along, I've wondered what my response to this moment (note that he's
      still "alive" as I write) would be. In the last few years, as dementia
      progressed, I'd expected that I'd be happy and unemotional (other than
      grateful for his relief). However...

      While the "weather" here could be described as "cloudy, with a chance of
      showers," indications are that a front is moving in and it might get worse
      :{))

      L8R, y'all...

      Skip

      Morgan 461 #2
      SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

      away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
      Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
    • Freda McFarlane
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
        Thanks for sharing Skip.  Love and good wishes to your father in his "final transfer" .  You couldn't have said it more beautifully.  Love to you and Lydia.
        Freda

      • chadhayden@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
          Hi Skip:

          I remember your dad... tall, quiet and understanding.  And your mom too... musical and warm.

          I think your telephone call was a terrific thing, and if he were able to understand it, a wonderful gift to your dad.

          Chad

          Chad R. Hayden
          6569 State Route  90 North
          Cayuga NY 13034
        • GhostWolf Davidson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
            Gentle hugs, Skip and Lydia;

            Words never suffice - I wish I could have met him and your mother; and I
            cannot even begin to express how deeply your call to him moved me -
            thank you for loving him so much
          • crbblair
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
              Skip,

              What a touching way to send off your Dad! My guess is he's been a lucky man to have you as you were to have him.

              Both of us on Toucan Dream have you and your's in our prayers.

              Chris and Robin