Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Cruising is... George Town, Exuma Bahamas 4/28-5/8-10

Expand Messages
  • Flying Pig
    Cruising is... George Town, Exuma Bahamas 4/28-5/8-10 Hello again. When we left you, we d been in George Town a week, and had just finished watering and
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2010
      Cruising is... George Town, Exuma Bahamas 4/28-5/8-10

      Hello again. When we left you, we'd been in George Town a week, and had just
      finished watering and fueling our home, Flying Pig, as well as filling the
      single gasoline can and single dinghy can which we'd used in the three or so
      weeks we'd been in the Jumentos.

      In all cases, we were pleased to have been very frugal with our usage,
      encouraging for times when we'd be in remote places for extended periods of
      time. We calculate with our current usage, we could go for nearly 3 months
      before running out of water, and probably 6 months before running out of
      Diesel. Depending on our dinghy usage, and the sun and wind state (which
      drives how much we use our Honda Generator), we might find ourselve short of
      gasoline. Accordingly, we're considering adding to our deck storage with a
      couple more gasoline cans.

      Our PortaBote is still our primary local travel vessel, as it continues to
      prove itself in rough weather and as a suitable tanker (that's the one I
      used to ferry the first - and several more times, too, as circumstances
      warranted - 40 gallons [over 320 pounds] of water). Friends seeing us come
      and go from their boat on visits usually comment that they had no idea that
      these Botes were that fast. Indeed, when I'm alone, unless the water is
      flat, I throttle back or risk going airborne, all on a 6hp engine.

      After Regatta Week, internet connectivity did, indeed, return, and I caught
      up on the various other places which have had to wait for all the cruising
      logs that members of TheFlyingPigLog@yahoogroups.com get in real time,
      courtesy of my son's posting them after I'd mailed them over our winlink Ham
      radio connection. I put them up at the rate of one a day so as to not
      overwhelm the other lists and forums to which they went :{)) and have just
      now gotten them up to our last post.

      These last couple of weeks have been shuttle time, as the place we did our
      watering is very convenient to town. However, we also went back and forth
      to Volleyball Beach a few times, mostly to get together with other cruisers,
      but, most importantly to Lydia, to avoid going aground. Actually, I'd have
      welcomed it, as I needed (well, wanted) to clean our bottom, which had grown
      a notable amount of what looked like frog spawn under it in the time since
      we last intentionally grounded ourselves in Long Island.

      The area is called Kidd's Cove, and a popular shelter from south through
      west winds, so, frequently, in the usually crowded times, folks shuttle back
      and forth for shelter from Volleyball (and, I presume, other of the beaches
      on Stocking Island) during the clocking of the winds in the winter. Spring,
      however, brings more consistent trade winds, mostly easterly, so there's no
      real shelter there. So, when the fetch builds the waves, were we to be
      aground, we'd bump in the waves, not comfortable sleeping.

      Unfortunately for us, in one panic exit, just after we'd finished our
      watering, we ran aground in the more-shallow-than-where-we-were area leading
      into the channel. It was just after we'd finished, and, with our full load
      of fuel and water, we probably accumulated another 4 inches of depth from
      what we'd arrived with :{/). No problem, the winds were very light that day,
      and we sat patiently until the next day's tide when we decamped again.

      A couple of days later, it was a full moon, with the lowest and highest
      tides, and we came back to do laundry, get the re-qualifying small Batelco
      card which would give us another 90 days of connectivity for our Bahamas
      cell phone, and reprovision. We're waiting for our friends who are on the
      way from Puerto Rico to get to this neighborhood so we can join them on our
      way north. They, sadly, are on their way north to get off the boat, having
      run out of money (well, have depleted funds to the degree they feel they
      need to go to work); they'll move to England, where he's a citizen, born
      there; she's a qualified nurse with employment credentials there, and sell
      the boat in the US.

      Of course, it's our fervent hope that they earn enough to get back on,
      should the boat not sell readily. They celebrated their 3 year anniversary
      of leaving the dock a couple of days ago, and, I have to say, we're green
      with envy at all they've accomplished in that time. Of course, they've not
      had the time off the boat we have, but, still, though we left before them,
      the first time (they left during our wreck rehab at the same marina where
      we'd met), they've been many more places that we'd thought we'd get to, and
      in the areas we HAVE gotten to, done more, seen more, and experienced more
      than we did. Our kind of cruisers, it pains our hearts to see them get

      During one of the days over on the Kidd's Cove side, we heard a panic call
      from a boater whose engine wouldn't start. I, of course, jumped in my
      dinghy to see what I might do in assistance, he being anchored not very far
      from where we were. However, I'd heard another response to the chatter
      around his call, saying he'd be right out. That turned out to be Alvin, on
      whom more, anon. He's a diesel mechanic, and, since the boater was in good
      hands, after my initial diagnosis, I left him and Alvin to return to Flying
      Pig. Cruising is...

      As to the title, as you've heard me say, cruising is boat repair in exotic
      locations, including helping others, and this is no exception, though, we're
      pleased to say, our "repairs" have been more on the line of ordinary
      maintenance. The critical one for us was the reinstallation of our KISS
      wind generator. As I didn't get it completed before the squall mentioned in
      our last log, and the wind was very light, I was again frustrated that we'd
      not had it in the Jumentos, where the wind blew steadily at 15-20 knots,
      with higher gusts, just the right speed for this particular generator.

      We were finally rewarded, however, with a couple of days of reasonable
      breeze, and I'm thrilled to say we achieved energy independence about a week
      ago, as, for a few days, the wind blew at 10 knots or better, sometimes
      reaching close to 20 on occasion. Mostly, however, even the mostly 10-12
      knots overnight more than kept up with our load, and, once the sun came out,
      easily replenished our batteries. By the end of the brief period, our
      batteries were entirely full, with our net amp-hour usage (we have a meter
      which shows us the total deficit in our battery bank in amp-hours) in single

      Unfortunately, that was short-lived, but, with the days growing longer, our
      periods of 25 amps from our solar panels were also growing longer, and the
      Honda gets little use. In particular, however, even though it's less than a
      half hour each time, all that shuttling we've done, resulted in our
      alternator picking up the slack, keeping us full, allowing Lydia to do her
      bean polishing as well as me on the computer sourcing various parts we'll
      order in during our trip to the states.

      For those interested, Lydia's developed a different (well, more complex)
      method for polishing her beans. She started with a Dremel with a scrubbie
      wheel, and when that wasn't fast enough, I suggested a flap wheel in our
      battery powered drill. That did a great job of knocking down the grunge and
      weathering they pick up in their long journey to the shores, and while she
      depleted one battery, another was charging, courtesy of the wind and sun.
      The Dremel got the nooks and crannies, and the polishing wheel did the fine

      Among the net-searching I've done is looking for something to passivate our
      bow roller welds we had done in St. Augustine on the way to the Bahamas last
      year. I stumbled on a product that I've followed up on with the owner; I'll
      report on that when we get to use it, but for the moment, Lydia's doing the
      usual scrub and polish routine aboard.

      My major chore, and the purpose for going to the other side after we'd
      finished our watering and fueling was to intentionally go aground so that I
      could clean the bottom, again. However, aside from close to town, which
      spot we chose based on our first time in that side, ironically, on our last
      visit there, we were in deep enough water to not have a chance for
      grounding. As Lydia's manic about not being "trapped" aground (the water
      around where we'd anchor is lower, so getting to deeper water, should we be
      bumping, is impossible), we were making the shuttle runs timed to the tides.

      Going back to Stocking Island, thinking to ground ourselves on the sand bar
      between Volleyball and Sand Dollar beaches, we couldn't get close enough to
      assure not swinging into a reef should the wind change. So, we gave up and
      anchored, again, off Chat 'n' Chill, enduring the endless (and repetitious -
      I don't know how the help stands hearing the same thing 5 or more times each
      day, every day) loud music while we traded dinners with some friends we'd
      met in the yard in St. Pete. Her blister work on the bottom of her boat
      emboldened Lydia to take on ours, with my grinding for the prep, before we
      did our bottom painting...

      With next to no wind, I took advantage of that opportunity to make some
      changes to my PortaBote sculling oars. (I'd modified my Bote when I first
      got it to allow the use of rowing sculls, 10' long oars normally used in
      racing shells. You can see more on the PortaBote and its modifications in
      my gallery by clicking this link: http://tinyurl.com/PortaBoteMods)

      These oars (sculls, as they're called) are made from carbon fiber, and, with
      the weathering they'd experienced in our three years at sea, on deck, they'd
      started to shed some of the carbon fibers. The reaction is about like
      getting fiberglass on you - it itches and stings, so we needed a solution to
      that, or we'd never be able to sit in the Bote after storing the oars
      following a row.

      The vendor told me that using bumper paint - the stuff auto guys use for the
      rubber/plastic bumpers common on cars today - would not only seal that off,
      but flex enough that they could be used in the normal fashion. A carbon
      fiber oar, when pulled strongly, is designed to bend; it's the same stuff
      pole vaulters' poles are made from. The strong pull's bend allows the force
      to be gradual, and continuous, through the stroke, without shock to the
      boat's system. So, it would have to be flexible.

      It was blisteringly hot, so I was sweating to the degree that I had to go
      back to Flying Pig for my sweatband when I got the second can of spray paint
      (I'd purchased two cans at the NAPA in Marsh Harbour). I needed the
      sweatband because I was dripping on the oars/shafts - not a great thing to
      try to paint on or under... I needed the second can because, with all the
      weathering, the carbon fiber shafts and blades soaked up the first coats
      immediately. As it is, I'll buy two more, because it's BARELY covered; I
      want a very thick coating on it to prevent migration of any other fibers.
      This has been on our to-do list for a very long time, and I'm pleased to
      have had the opportunity to at least address it, if not solve it. Cruising
      is... :{))

      As May 5th approached, the talk was all about Cinco de Mayo, so we decamped
      on Wednesday afternoon to Hamburger Beach, north of Volleyball Beach. We
      were pleased to see a variety of very strong internet signals, not found in
      the hole where we'd parked in Volleyball, so our research into various
      projects continued.

      By 5 PM, dinghies were arriving in swarms. The same place where we attended
      Ham Club lunches each Wednesday last year has been bought.and newly
      renovated by the new owner (Alvin, the diesel mechanic mentioned above)
      Peace and Plenty bar and grill (not related to or owned by Peace and Plenty
      resort) on Hamburger Beach.

      He's calling it the Sand Bar (old signage remains), and they have the best
      burgers we've had on the island. The facility includes a covered pavilion
      with a cooking area for outdoor events, and many picnic tables covered by
      thatched roofs for folks wantng to be in the shade, as well. His deck next
      to the bar-and-grill building (which also has tables inside) has tables and
      chairs, as well.

      We had a chance to chat him up during a quiet period, and learned that he'd
      sent himself off to school in the US to get a marine technical degree. That
      not being enough, his entrepreneurial spirit has led him to purchase this
      facility. Last year, aside from the Wednesday Ham Club meetings during high
      cruiser season, this facility was closed for lack of business.

      Alvin's been a tireless, cheerful promoter, as well as a very busy renovator
      while he's not ferrying guests. We're seeing vacationers from all the
      various resorts coming to enjoy his quiet beaches, free lounge chairs, and
      good food. We hailed him on one of his runs, headed into Great Exuma island
      to ferry more guests, and found that he'll stay open all summer, every day,
      closing only for August, and being available for the influx of cruisers
      which starts in the fall. From all the signs, not only of the activity which
      never happened before when we were here, but of the upgrades and
      improvements he's doing, as well as the constant traffic we've seen, he'll
      do well.

      He sponsored the Cinco de Mayo bash, where folks brought pot luck, or bought
      burgers or other stuff on the menu, and enjoyed 2-for-$6 12 oz. margaritas,
      supplemented by his passing out free shots of tequila to any and all who
      came - to the degree that folks on several different boats were impaired
      enough to leave stuff behind, the subject of some amusement on the net
      yesterday :{))

      The anchorage here is stunningly quiet, and very well protected from the
      predominantly east or northeast/southeast winds found at this time of year,
      so we'll stay here while waiting for our friends to make it a bit further
      north before we move on with them...

      Meanwhile, even here has been a bit challenging to find the bottom, and my
      first forays under the boat were all well over my head. In part, that's
      because I was delayed getting into the water by a fellow cruiser asking, on
      the morning net, after KISS repair parts, of which I have many, being a firm
      believer in having spares for any major system which might need them, BEFORE
      I need them.

      As it turned out, as so often, and so frustratingly, happens, I couldn't put
      my hands on the item he needed, so, instead, I sourced it from the local
      NAPA store while he was aboard, courtesy of a local-info call over the VHF
      on the hailing channel for this area, channel 68, uncovering the phone
      number for the store, and a call over my newly-renewed Bahamas phone.

      Of course, the usual WiFi discussion (I've had 15 visitors to the boat, each
      staying a half-hour or more, since the announcement over the morning net
      mentioned in my last!) also ensued. By the time I actually got in the
      water, it was nearly high tide. So, I concentrated on the prop and keel

      During my first immersion, Lydia went exploring on the north end of Stocking
      Island. She's done the south end several times, including the day when I was
      working on the oars, so this was new territory for her. I'll let her tell
      the story in her log (the google group log in my signature), but it suffices
      to say that it's enchanting and beautiful.

      This fuzz is pretty aggressive, it turns out, and takes a great deal of
      effort with a brush to remove. However, the first efforts were reasonably
      successful, so I resolved to go back in the next day. Early (well, early by
      our standards - it was 8:30) on, I pulled in some of the anchor chain in
      order to get us into slightly shallower water. With the still airs (under 10
      and usually less than 5 knots) coming from over the hill, there was little
      concern for dragging at the remaining 4-1 scope, but we never actually got
      to touch, at any time in the day.

      The air and water are very warm, so I was able to stay under most of the day
      without becoming chilled. The bottom here is very soft sand, and, at least
      to me, very curious, in that it's a bunch of conical hills, some at least 2'
      high. So, in the instances where the boat swung, or, just by where I was
      along the length, when I was atop a hill, I could easily reach the

      Fortunately, I was able to finish most of the boat. I say "most" because
      every time I'd look at an area I thought I'd done, when sighting along the
      hull, I'd see another patch of fuzz. I attacked each in turn, and THINK I
      have it done; I'll check again in the morning at, again, low tide. In any
      event, I know I'll have to do a light brushing, probably on the entire boat,
      as, where I'd cleaned the first day, already, a day later, there were very
      fine white strings everywhere.

      They come off very easily, but, none the less, apparently, this is a very
      fecund area for marine growth, because, despite my vigorous scrubbing, which
      not only got off the original fuzz, but activated the next layer of ablative
      paint (the water was filled with paint scrubs turbidity, making visibility
      even worse than all the fuzz I was dislodging), which should have
      discouraged such growth.

      Some of our internet usage has been related to future projects, among them
      fabrication of custom wind scoops. Lydia's been luxuriating in the
      connectivity to keep up with her family on Skype, over video calls, and to
      search out ripstop nylon, our various versions of wind-catchers all having
      fallen to tearing under the strain. Mine was to source the many projects I
      have going, including replacing the pelican hooks which looked so good on
      paper, but which, without over-center engagement and latching pins, came
      open in use, not a good thing when you need them for security at the gates
      when under way!

      Others include getting more rouge blocks for polishing chores of various
      kinds, a new outboard fuel line fitting, a manual bilge pump for the
      PortaBote (being collapsible and flexible HDPE, it has no practical way to
      fit a bung for under-way emptying as our inflatable does), a replacement
      switch for our mini-shop vac, new spark plugs for the Honda generator
      (recall I sold mine a few months ago, ironically to the guy who'd captained
      this very boat for the family who owned it before us), replacement bulbs for
      the large battery powered hand-held trouble light, batteries for my digital
      caliper, additional non-spill spouts for our fuel cans (one broke; others
      may), metal slides for the new zippers installed in our bimini and enclosure
      during our refit in Saint Simons Island, GA, and a host of miscellaneous
      hardware, some of which is difficult to find in regular retail outlets.

      I've also been in contact with a distributor of a promising stainless steel
      rust remover and preventative, as well as a troubleshooting call to the
      distributor of my hookah rig, today, when it appeared to fail to start.
      Both of these were a consequence of having a great internet connection
      allowing us to use our Vonage telephone system (same phone number I've had
      for 30 years). When we move into the boonies again, soon, all those
      luxuries will go away...

      Annnnd.... I finally finished diving the boat. I don't know what's in the
      water here, but it almost grows faster than I can keep up with it. I found
      some areas of frog spawn, presumably missed in all the turbid water created
      by my stomping around on the bottom and all the stuff coming off the boat,
      but everywhere else had a light film of long, white strands.

      Fortunately, those came off with just a swish, and because I wasn't making
      such a commotion down there, I was able to see all the missed green areas.
      I'll have to do some of the waterline areas (1/2-1" of height growth) which
      wouldn't succumb to the relatively soft and long bristled brust, using a
      much stiffer, hand (vs on an extension pole to give me more sweep, pardon
      the expression) brush. However, case in point on how fast this stuff
      attaches, I redid the prop when I entered the water and had to do it again
      less than 3 hours later when I came out.

      My last little chore for the day was to climb up to the wind generator in
      the zero-knot conditions. It sticks slightly, such that it won't rotate in
      less than 10 or more knots once it gets stuck in the 30*-to-starboard
      position, so I lifted it the 1/4 or so inch that is available between the
      collar which secures it to the housing on the pole, and the screws which
      hold in the pole cap, the bearing on which the unit rotates as the wind
      changes, and forced teflon pool grease into the crevice between the collar
      and pole.

      Whether that serves the purpose, or I have to disassemble it and hone out
      the collar slightly remains to be seen, but it seemed to turn easier as I
      rotated it on the pole. At this particular point, it's not very important,
      as there's not enough wind to generate electricity, but next week will have
      us back to energy independence, as we're in for an entire week of, depending
      on the forecasting source, either high teens or 20-25 knots of wind, just
      perfect for the KISS, and, as well, plenty to make it face into the wind.

      For right now, I'm recovering from the chill from being under the boat all
      day (well, it seemed like that), and looking forward to the arrival in a few
      days of our friends from New Zealand, mentioned above. He's asked me to
      delay putting away our hookah rig so that he can clean the bottom of his
      boat, as well, while we wait for the winds to quiet down a bit before
      heading off to other places.

      My final 1-2-3 for this week (well, technically, most folks consider Sunday
      to be a new week, so perhaps the first for next week?) will be to defrost
      our refrigerator. As I use a heat gun to accelerate that process, and it
      has a high amperage load, we run the generator for that. Since we run that
      during my diving (to support its amp load, too), and I've been too chilled
      when I've gotten out of the water to even think about it, we'll save that
      for tomorrow.

      Oh, yah, related, I'll do an oil change on the Honda when I'm finished.
      These marvelous little machines will run forever (many enthusiasts, using
      hour meters for monitoring oil change intervals, report 10,000 hour lives on
      theirs) if you're religious about changing the oil. This tiny engine has no
      filter, so it's important in that regard, but in particular (or particulate,
      if you prefer), since the cams are plastic, little bits of junk in the oil
      will cause them to wear prematurely.

      So, well fed by the local bananas we picked up earlier this week (very
      strange for Americans, they're fully ripe while still green, and you
      wouldn't believe how sweet they are in comparison for the gas-ripened excuse
      for bananas found in most grocery stores in the US) and peanut butter, on a
      lovely rye bread, I'm going to head to bed, early this time. Too many late
      nights and early mornings (necessary if you want to hear Chris Parker in
      this part of the world, as propagation worsens at the distance he is from
      here, on the frequencies he uses, as the morning wears on) and all my
      exertions for the last three days under water have about worn this soon (in
      three days)-to-be-65-year-old man out :{))

      So, until next time, Stay Tuned!


      Skip and crew

      Morgan 461 #2
      SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
      See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery !
      Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
      and/or http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog

      "You are never given a wish without also being given the power to
      make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
      "There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
      its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

      (Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)
    • JunabA
      Skip: How do you handle trash? Junab
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2010

        How do you handle trash?

      • Flying Pig
        Skip: How do you handle trash? Junab Hi, Junab, and list, If it s on the beach, we use a piece of driftwood bamboo or the like to stir it (so we don t have to
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2010

          How do you handle trash?


          Hi, Junab, and list,
          If it's on the beach, we use a piece of driftwood bamboo or the like to stir it (so we don't have to bend down so far) to find the elusive sea beans :{))
          Oh.  You mean aboard...
          We take our grocery bags - the ubiquitous plastic bags - and fill them as we go.  Then we tie them off, and hang them from the arch using a jumbo aluminum caribiner (~4") to keep them back there. We use those caribiners for a multitude of hanging purposes, from lines to garbage bags to dive and anchor-location bouys, and others, most from a rail or the arch.
          If we're far enough offshore, we ditch all the non-plastic stuff, which reduces the volume, but there have been times when we've had two very full caribiners to take to the nearest disposal site.  Due to our particular lifestyle/stores aboard, however, there's precious little other than plastic waste we generate.  Aside from the odd banana peel (they don't keep very long, so we have them very infrequently), and paper/cardboard/glass wrappers for such things like pasta, sweetener, sauces and the like, virtually all of the trash other than eggshells we generate is plastic, not organic, so we wind up carrying the vast majority of it.  Being plastic, while voluminous, it's very light, so not a problem to carry however far it might be to the appropriate spot.
          That said, even an ocean crossing, particularly if you're careful about your provisioning with regard to the containers, is manageable in that fashion.  Most crossings, for example, would not take longer than we spent between garbage dumps in our Jumentos time.
          Anywhere in civilization, there's a place to dump your trash.  Here in George Town, it's the dumpster at the government dock, a very small side trip on the way into town.  In Long Island, it's another dumpster nearby to the Long Island Breeze resort/bar/grill.  In Marsh Harbour, it's any of many dumpsters on the way into town from the public dinghy dock.  In Ragged Island, we kept it, as they have little means of dealing with garbage in that tiny community.  In the Exumas last year, each community had an appropriate dump site.
          We look a bit strange, I'm sure, with the bags all bundled on our arch, when we've been out (or just not dumped in a while) for several weeks, such as in our return trip from the Jumentos/Long Island to George Town, where we hadn't done garbage for nearly a month, though we did, going down on the outside, dump the non-plastic stuff between Water and Nurse Cays, as we'd not gone ashore right before we left Long Island.
          The amount of trash (all plastic; the rest disappears) on the ocean side beaches is impressive, if not depressive.  In some areas, particularly where there's a large local population which might use the beaches, they're cleaned up, but for the most part, along with the seaweed and driftwood, it's a riot of blue, yellow, red, white and milky plastic, most of it severely UV degraded. 
          Thus, when I salvaged a jug to use as a bailer on my PortaBote, which doesn't have a drain, my previous cut-off milk bottle having succumbed to the UV, too, while I whacked several until I got one that didn't immediately break, the one I chose soon died, and I had to wait until I found a suitable "fresh" one in a dumpster ashore, here.
          There's an agglomeration of plastic trash the size of Texas in the Pacific ocean, thrown together by the winds and currents, which has been growing for the last 30+ years.  It's not yet a hazard to navigation, but as far as I know, it's not on any charts.  Perhaps one day someone will come up with a microbe which eats plastic, such as the one they use on oil spills (it is, of course, all petroleum-based stuff), which could attack that, but, of course, no single entity, nor any government, wants to tackle that particular island in the sea, so it remains, growing.  If it ever threatened a shoreline, like the current oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, likely it would get more attention :{))
          Anyway, back to your question, as members of the Seven Seas Cruising Association, following their motto, we leave a clean wake, and carry our plastic, at minimum, to whatever shore point will allow us to dump it.  The stuff we can send overboard we use the international standard as to distance offshore to determine what we might dump, where and when.
          Used oil (all cruisers eventually change their oil) is also sometimes problematic.  George Town specifically has disallowed dumping (in containers, of course, as nobody could get it to shore elsewise) used oil in their dumpster, but, recently, Alvin, of the prior log, has begun accepting it at the Sand Bar.  I investigated it, thoroughly, but, after discussion amongst many cruisers, found nobody who'd done it, and some gave erudite reasons why it might not be a good idea in cooled-exhaust systems, but the government routinely recycles their waste lube oil, as much as 15% concentration, into diesel fuel (mixes with diesel).
          Wherever he's using it, Alvin is burning it in a diesel engine, and tells me that he's found no ill effects.  As little as we use (about 4 gallons per 150 hours of operation, counting topups), with only ~2.5 gallons per change of waste, I just wait until we're in a place without such restrictions to put them in a dumpster.  I'd dearly love to put them down my diesel fill, but concerns for coking (because of the metal impurities generated in waste oil) in a cooled exhaust have thus far prevented me, even though, at full, the dilution would be on the order of 2-3%.
          Anyway, we leave a clean wake, and haul our garbage/trash wherever we go.
          And, as a side thought in contravention to the international standard for organic waste disposal offshore, when we visited Cabbage Cay, the place which had all the nurse sharks to swim with last year, and at the dock where we'll leave our boat, again, this July when we go ashore, the specific was to dump each and every bit of organic matter there to feed the fish, conch, lobster and other marine critters. At the dock, it was teeming with fish, so organic stuff is actually welcomed in some places. 
          At anchor in some locations, however, it might attract sharks, as was the case in Cambridge Cay, in the National park area, so they tell you to be careful not to put anything organic in the water.  However, the local volunteer hosts (collected the mooring fees and assigned positions to incoming boats) told us to accumulate our organic stuff to carry off to the nurse shark place on an outing they'd arranged, as they specifically wanted it...
          Nice to hear from you...
          Skip and crew, awaiting our Kiwi friends' arrival later today
          "You are never given a wish without also being given the power to
          make it come true. You may have to work for it however."
          "There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
          its hand.  You seek problems because you need their gifts."
          (Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.