Skip's first sorta techie post

  • Skip Gundlach, Aboard S/Y Flying Pig, ov
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2006
      This will not be a regular occurrence - that is, lots of techie posts from me - but I wanted to get something out in the open...

      First, about current events.

      We're deep into blister repair, which will be followed by patch-job bottom paint to match the current color, then an entirely new bottom paint in a contrasting color.   I'll spare you the details :{)) - but, as always, our more-or-less daily doings are documented in our gallery under the refit section, and further under the appropriate month, should you care to see it.  The current gallery is August06.

      While we were at it (famous last words - it's what has us still on the hard, these 2.5 years later), Lydia had Chuck (our finish carpenter and painter) redo the boot stripe and reveal stripe to match the color of our hailing port and boat name lettering.  It's gorgeous.  I'll try to get some pictures up in the gallery later tonight.

      After all the bottom work is finished, we'll do the Poli-Glow treatment to make the hull shine like a brand new paint job.  Practical Sailor reviewed it and many other sorta-similar products recently, and this came out on top, with rave reviews from anyone who's used it backing it up (many different discussions on several different lists got users to comment recently).

      Inside we continue to stow stuff and are very pleased with the available room.  In addition, I'm rounding third on the replumbing of the aft head, using hard PVC instead of the stinky hose that always eventually results regardless of how much you pay for, and how good it is, the good stuff.  Thus, in the future we'll not have to re-hose, an entirely repulsive job.

      However, to the real point of this notice:

      There's been a lot of chatter in one of the mailing lists to which I subscribe, about lawlessness in the Eastern Caribbean, our expected cruising grounds once we finish the thorny (well, we'll do it thornlessly) path to the island chain.

      Knowing how things can get blown out of proportion, I asked one of the Island Packet list members who's currently in Trinidad, and whose usual cruising grounds are in that area, for a reality check.  This was his response:

      Things are getting bad.  Boardings, skipper beaten, women raped in St Lucia
      and Trinidad.  I have worked with several people.  We had a pre meeting
      yesterday and will have a meeting with several hundred cruisers and the US,
      Canadian, and British Embassies tomorrow.  There were a lot of murders and
      kidnappings last year and the year before, but the cruisers were not
      involved until the last few months.  We had the terrible experience of
      listening to a woman on the VHF while she was being raped in St Lucia and
      because she spoke very little English, she could not identify the boat or
      its location.  Will let you know the results of the meeting tomorrow if you
      are interested.

      Bill Langlois
      S/V HOPE

      I replied about how distressing that was to those of us expecting to spend the rest of our cruising days in the EC.  I've asked for the report, so we'll hear about it tomorrow.  However, I really don't expect the embassies to be able to do anything.  Fortunately, our expectation is that it will be well over a year before we'll be in that part of the world, and perhaps the local governments will have, by that time, decided that cruiser revenues are worth preserving, as, surely, they will all abandon that area entirely if it remains unsafe, and provide the "normal" (what we have come to expect in our everyday lives) sorts of law enforcement, on the ground and in the water...

      Please note that this is not intended to give alarm to our friends and family - just to provide a heads-up that we'll be monitoring it very closely, and if it doesn't improve, modify our cruising plans!

      L8R

      Skip and Lydia, hot stuff

      Morgan 461 #2
      SV Flying Pig   KI4MPC
      See our galleries at http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/
      Follow us at TheFlyingPigLog@yahoogroups.com

      "Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats.
      In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter.  Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it.
      Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."