Belated Reply: Re: [BACH-LIST] The face of Bach

  • TheFaceOfBach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2003
      In a message dated 03/26/2003 3:27:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hauptstueck@... writes:

      Hi everybody.
      I checked the page http://www.npj.com/thefaceofbach/abg02.html and I
      have to say that only one portrait of those shown is the original Herr
      Bach. There are only 2 portraits that depicts him, one is the Haussman,
      the other has been made by the son of his brother, and curiously
      enough, it is not present in this site. All the other portraits have been
      assigned centuries later, like "huh I have found an anonymous portrait
      in my roof who shows somebody that resembles the face of Herr Bach
      in the Haussman, let's say this is Bach!". There are plenty of studies
      that confirm what I am saying. If you want the other portrait made by his
      relative (his surname was Bach also, I have forgot the name), just
      check here:
      http://www.bergenkirkespill.com/mariamusikkfestival/2000/index2.html
      Have a great day.
      Fabio (organist, organologist, harpsichordist, pianist, blatant person)

      Dear Fabio;

      Perhaps if you took the time to read carefully all of the sections of The Face Of Bach
      , instead of just looking quickly at the section that conclusively proves that the so-called Group Portrait does NOT depict Bach and three of his sons, you might realize that there are several "life portraits" that are accurate depictions of Bach's facial features.

      I presume that by "plenty of studies that confirm what [you are] saying" you mean books like Conrad Freyse's greatly flawed Bachs Antlitz and Heinrich Besseler's uneven Funf echte  Bildnisse Johann Sebastian Bachs, to cite but two.

      I stand by the results of my researches, which have occupied me for many years, and I publicly challenge you to prove me wrong and to prove me wrong beyond a reasonable doubt.

      My best,

      Teri Noel Towe
      Webmaster of The Face Of Bach

      PS:  By the way, the so-called Meiningen Pastel, to which you allude in your e-mail with a link to a reproduction at a Norwegian Music Festival's web site, not only is present at The Face Of Bach
      (contrary to your assertion in your e-mail to BACH-LIST) but also is almost certainly the work of Sebastian Bach's distant cousin and pupil, Gottlob Friedrich Bach, as you would know if you had taken the time to explore The Face Of Bach thoroughly and had troubled to read the section entitled The Meiningen Pastel - Bach Through The Eyes Of His Relatives.

      TNT

      cc:  TheFaceOfBach@yahoogroups.com
             teritowe@...
             Fabio - hauptstueck@...