Warning!!!!!! - Another Vicious Computer Virus!

  • TeriNoelTowe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2001
      Pardon the intrusion, but from what I can tell, if you ignore  Goner, you're a goner!

      This is another virus to take seriously.  It has to be if it made The New York Times.

      I annex the article from the Times, and, after the article, an e-mail that was forwarded to me by my good friend Mark Windisch, an e-mail that sets forth an explanation of how to get rid of the virus should it infect your computer.

      I chant again my mantra:

      If you don't have a good anti-virus program on your computer, please get one.  If you have one, please keep it up to date!

      My best always,

      P. S.:  Thanks again, Mark!

      Click here: They Looked, They Clicked, a New E-Mail Virus Conquered

      December 5, 2001

      They Looked, They Clicked, a New E-Mail Virus Conquered

      Get Stock Quotes
      Look Up Symbols

      Portfolio |  Company Research
      U.S. Markets
       |  Int. Markets
      Mutual Funds
       |  Bank Rates
      Commodities & Currencies

      new malicious computer virus named Goner began making the rounds of the online world yesterday like an Internet IQ test. Anyone who has not learned the most important computer security message of the last two years — do not open any unexpected files that come attached to e-mail messages — ends up infecting the computer.Once installed, the Goner program — technically known as a worm — looks for and deletes a number of programs, including Internet security programs like ZoneAlarm. If the victim uses the Microsoft (news/quote
      ) Outlook e- mail program, Goner sends itself to those in the e-mail address book. It can also be spread through ICQ, an Internet instant-message system.Like several predecessors, the new virus spread quickly, affecting companies and individuals using Microsoft Outlook, according to experts at several computer security companies. One, Network Associates (news/quote), said customers had reported more than 100,000 infected machines. Because it is new, Goner is not automatically blocked by many security screens looking for features of older viruses. Most antivirus companies had patches ready yesterday.The program arrives in an e-mail message that says, "When I saw this screen saver, I immediately thought about you," and, "I am in a harry [sic], I promise you will love it!" The file attached to the message is named "Gone.scr.""If that doesn't look like a virus, nothing does," scoffed David M. Perry, the global director of education for Trend Micro (news/quote), a computer security company based in Tokyo. Despite extensive warnings, he said, people still open unexpected attachments. "They call and say, `I downloaded it and I clicked on it — what should I have seen?' "" `Your pink slip,' " he explained in a mock response, " `because you're an idiot.' "

      Home | Back to Technology | Search | Help Back to Top

      Subj: Fwd: [HANDEL-L] OT info on today's high-risk GONER virus
      Date: 12/5/01 6:09:02 AM Eastern Standard Time
      From: MWindi4108

      To: TeriNoelTowe

      As promised