Virus Warning - Serious!!!!!

  • TeriNoelTowe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2001
      This morning, I found an e-mail, with an attachment, that ostensibly came from a close friend.  The "Re" on the e-mail indicated that it was a belated reply to an e-mail sent nearly 5 months ago.

      The download was blocked by Norton Anti-Virus.

      In the same group of e-mails, I received a similar e-mail, also ostensibly a reply to an e-mail sent months ago.

      In each case, there was one thing weird about the source e-mail address.  It was preceded by a "_".  In other words, in my particular case, my e-mail would have shown in your "in box" as "_TeriNoelTowe@...".

      I know that in both cases the transmission of the virus was inadvertent, and I have warned both transmitters.

      According to my good friend, Mark Windisch, in the U. K., with whom I communicated about this for confirmation,

      "It seems to have come from BT (British Telecomm). It picks up any unread? (perhaps your whole address book) mail in your Microsoft Outlook box and sends a message with the _Mwindi4108 sender identification. It has an attachment marked FUN.MP3.pif or something like that.

      In my cases the attachment, had the suffix ".scr".

      Jill Gunsell has put her hand up to starting it in our groups and has already mailed Orfeo and Handel-l and perhaps other groups to which she belongs.

      Because I am not a subscriber either to Orfeo or to HANDEL-L, I did not receive Ms. Gunsell's distress rocket.  This is confirmation of my fervent belief that, when it comes to Virus infection warnings, Yuri Egorov's dictum -  "Too much is just enough!" - applies.  Nevertheless, I apologize to those to whom this warning is redundant.

      I have had 3 infected messages so far - of course I zap them immediately now. I then send an E Mail to the sender to warn them that their computer is infected."

      For those of us who use automatic download features, like that at AOL, Norton Anti-Virus will pick up the infected e-mail and ask you to quarantine it.

      You may wish to forward this warning on to others and to any of the internet lists to which you might subscribe, in the event that no one else has sent up an appropriate distress rocket.

      If you do not have an anti-virus protection program on your computer, or, if it is not up to date, get one or get your existing one updated, ASAP.  And, if you already have one, be sure that your protection program is on!

      Thank God for Norton AntiVirus!

      My  best!

      Teri