Isolde Ahlgrimm, Vienna & the Early Music Revival

  • TeriNoelTowe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2008
      I am pleased to forward this e-mail from Isolde Ahlgrimm's favorite and most distinguished pupil, Peter Watchorn, whose carefully researched biography of his teacher and mentor, for which he had unrestricted access to her archives, finally has been published:

      Hi Teri,

      I received this one page info sheet from the USA branch Ashgate, publishers of my recently release book on Isolde A. They asked me to get it into the hands of Bach societies, newsletters etc. I wondered if, with your far more fluent knowledge of the web and its possibilities than I have, you might be able to pass it around? Perhaps you might know a list of organizations to whom it might be forwarded?

      Many thanks,

      Now available from Ashgate Publishing…

      Isolde Ahlgrimm, Vienna
      and the Early Music Revival

      Peter Watchorn

      “Isolde Ahlgrimm appears in the pages of Peter Watchorn’s
      biography as an artist of great depth, insight and integrity,
      and a person of extraordinary strength and determination.
      Her pioneering contributions to the field of early music, which
      have largely gone unrecognized, were vital to our present-day
      awareness and appreciation of the musical aesthetics of former times.
      As a superb musician who knew the importance of scholarly research
      and saw period instruments as primary tools for understanding music
      of the past, she influenced many of the best known early music performers
      of the next generation…The story of Ahlgrimm’s musical life offers
      more than a glimpse of the flowering of early music in Vienna before
      World War II and her place at its center…The reader will come away
      from reading about her life with an altered view of the history of the
      early music movement.”

      —Penelope Crawford

      Isolde Ahlgrimm (1914–1995), was an important pioneer in the revival
      of Baroque and Classical keyboard instruments in her native city,
      Vienna, and later, throughout Europe and the United States. Ahlgrimm’s
      performances of Baroque music represented a radical departure from
      the distinctly twentieth-century interpretations by the much more
      famous Wanda Landowska and her followers. Peter Watchorn provides
      an engaging study of Ahlgrimm, and argues that her contribution to the
      harpsichord and fortepiano revival was pivotal, and that her use of period
      instruments and the inspiration she instilled in younger musicians,
      including Nikolaus Harnoncourt and Gustav Leonhardt, has been
      almost entirely overlooked by the wider musical world.

      Contents:
      Foreword, Penelope Crawford;
      Preface, Virginia Pleasants;
      Introduction: early music, Vienna and the missing link;
      Early education and influences;
      Instrument collecting, Erich Fiala and the Concerte
      für Kenner und Liebhaber, 1934–1956;
      Isolde Ahlgrimm, Philips Phonographische Industrie
      and J.S. Bach: the Complete Works for Harpsichord;
      After the deluge: artistic independence. The years 1956–1984;
      Appendices;
      Bibliography;

      Includes 32 b&w illustrations and 23 music examples
      December 2007 264 pages
      Hardback 978-0-7546-5787-3 $99.95
      All online orders at www.ashgate.com receive a discount.

      www.ashgate.com

      Ashgate Publishing

      PO Box 2225

      Williston VT 05495-2225 USA

      Toll-free: 1-800-535-9544

      Email: orders@...

      Web: www.ashgate.com

      Please visit www.ashgate.com
      for sample pages

      ASHGATE

      Teri Noel Towe

      The Face Of Bach

      "Those in charge are odd and ambivalent towards music, which means I have to live with almost non-stop vexation, envy, and persecution."

      Johann Sebastian Bach, October 28, 1730

      (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp00300000002548)