FEDfest 2011 Timetable, AGM Agenda & Workshops

  • malcomson john
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
    Hi Everyone

    I suggested that, barring MAJOR objections by the end of September, we should accept the provisional FEDfest 2011 Timetable and the AGM Agenda as definitive.

    I note that nobody has come up with anything that suggests we should not do this and also that we have passed the end of September..  Therefore we should now circulate both these to all members, both individual and group members, along with details of the workshops that have so far been offered.
    I attach all three of these documents for circulation.  I have had some other suggestions of people who might be prepared to offer workshops, but no further information or details.

    I also proposed that it would expedite matters of the Chair, Treasurer and Membership Secretary produced their AGM Reports in advance and these were circulated ahead of meeting, with a deadline for questions/comments to be submitted, as this would expedite business at the AGM.  My suggestion was that these should be written and circulated to members by 5 October, with a deadline of 26 October for the submission of questions/comments.  We would then be able to put everything in the Welcome Pack.  Please would the relevant officers do this, so we can have a businesslike AGM that will enable all attenders to do more of what they want during their limited time at the FEDfest: meeting other FED members; attending workshops; etc.
    Incidentally, I assume someone has in hand the production of welcome packs, or has it been assumed that Ashley (not a member of the Exec) will be doing this without actually being asked?

    See you all at Faraday House on Saturday 5 November.

    Regards
    John
  • malcomson john
    Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2011
    Hi Everyone
    I have just received another offer of a workshop, so we are now only two short, assuming the three workshops for which I have no details come through, and none of the others let us down at the last minute.
    I attach the latest release of the workshops offered, which has the most recent offering from Alison Baverstock.
    See you all at the FEDfest.
    Regards
    John
  • Paul J King
    Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
      Hi John,

      Firstly apologies I have not got back to you earlier – I am tending to go through these things in batches….

      As I said, happy to do anything or nothing depending on what people want….

      Two potential workshops:

      Celebratory Reading rehearsal :-  Worried about performing your piece at the Celebratory Readings?  Not used to performing in public and want some tips on how to perform better in a friendly supportive atmosphere?  Then come along to the Celebratory Reading rehearsal and work to perfect your grand performance.

      Setting the scene:-  One of the hardest parts of creative writing is setting the scene, to describe things in such a way you draw your reader in and really get them to visualise and feel part of the piece.  This workshop will work in pairs to look at a simple way of thinking about scene setting and how this can be used in your own writing to aid description.

      Very best wishes,

      Paul

      P.S.  I am also happy to compare again unless you have some new blood to do it…  I think Rodger and Lucia as a double act comparing would be especially good! :-)

      Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
        Hi Paul

        Thank you for the offer of a workshop.  I generally leave it to the workshop leader to make his/her decision on the choice of workshop.  Having said that, I wonder whether a workshop on preparing to read for the Celebratory Reading would attract enough people, and also whether it would have sufficient content to fill a two-hour slot.  Of course, since you are offering it, you will know better than me, so please make your own decision.  I would be grateful if you would do this as soon as possible and then forward the title and blurb (I know you have done this already, but it is easier for if you cut and paste it into your email response.)

        As regards compering the Celebratory Reading, I do not make these decisions.  I agreed to organise the workshops but nothing more for the FEDfest.  Having said this, since nobody else seemed to be coming up with a timetable I thought I better do this, or we would end up with the same timetable as last year when we had a longer FEDfest and this would never do; likewise for the AGM Agenda.  I am quite happy for you to compere - it is COMPERE and not COMPARE by the way - as you seem to do it perfectly well.  If anyone wants another compere, or twin comperes, then perhaps they would say so.
        Whichever it is, I have one plea: as people are aware, our elder daughter Jessica died suddenly and totally unexpectedly in March, and the piece I want to read at the Celebratory Reading is what I wrote for a celebration we held of her life.  I would like to read this, and i would like to read first; I know it is a bit long for the usual time allowed, but I would hope that under the circumstances, and given the amount of time and effort I have put into TheFED  over the past ten or so years that I have been involved, I could be indulged with a little extra time on this occasion.

        Plea\se get back to me soonest about your workshop.

        See you at the FEDfest on Saturday 5 November.
        Regards
        John
      • Paul J King
        Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
          Well, despite John's reservations regards having a performance workshop – it has worked well for some time and given several the confidence to perform so….

          Workshop offer:

          Celebratory Reading rehearsal :-  Worried about performing your piece at the Celebratory Readings?  Not used to performing in public and want some tips on how to perform better in a friendly supportive atmosphere?  Then come along to the Celebratory Reading rehearsal and work to perfect your grand performance.

          Very best wishes,

          Paul

          P.S.  Thank you John for making such a big thing of my word error – enriching…..