job description and cwrap

  • Ashley Jordan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14 5:34 AM

      Hi all, I’ve posted the job description in the files section of both the cwrap and fedexec 06-07 egroups.  Thanks Lynne J

      We currently have 17 members in cwrap.  A lot of those are Shorelink members and a few people I met through the Fed who I personally keep in touch with.  I know how hard it can be to get people to embrace new tools, but even so it’s a bit poor L

      However, I think this does show how distant the fed had become from the bulk of the membership.  Who is the worker actually going to be working for?  How do we re-engage with member groups who were becoming marginalized, even folding, when we were focused on the overseas development?  Where are the people who debated every single item at the AGMs and were passionate about the aims and roots of the organizations we were representing.  I personally thought the definitions we were using were dated and irrelevant to a lot of our membership – but the passion with which people argued to keep them was - and is - crucial to the Fed.  What about the former Exec members?  Where are they?  Tom Woodin, Sue Havercroft, Sarah & Richard, Jim White, Maria Garner, Alison Smith, Amer Salam etc… I know there are many more but it’s early on a Monday morning L

      The point I am getting to is that the FedFests attendance was already dropping markedly – if the US students hadn’t come last year we’d have had a very poor turnout indeed, in terms of numbers.  Even people who’d attended regularly for years were conspicuously absent!!!  A lot of member groups were not represented at all.  We seem to be left with a tiny core group of individuals who care passionately about a larger membership that we’ve never met, who seem to be unaware of us and from the lack of response to our ‘shattering’ news of the Fed’s problems, indifferent to what the Fed had to offer.

      This is a fantastic opportunity for us to reach out to the UK member groups.  I think we should now try to personally visit each and every one of them.  We have a pretty good geographic spreadLondon is particularly well represented but that is where a lot of our member groups are based.

      We have a links section available in the cwrap e-group.  It is quite likely that the Fed website will be pulled down once the web hosts realize they are not going to get any money from us.  I’m going to start copying all the existing links over the next few days and using those contact details to try to spread the cwrap around a bit J (Unless anyone has already done this?)

      Love & light,

      Ashley

      Love & light,

      Ashley

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • usernotknownuk
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14 3:25 PM
        Well, I can answer some of your questions… I am forwarding the old
        Fed Database from 1999 to Ashley – I assume that you have been able
        to get the up to date one from the Fed Office? As an interesting
        set, I am also forwarding the first set of minutes from when the Fed
        became a Company Limited by Guarantee – and thereby limiting
        liabilities in the event of the Fed winding up…

        I was also interested to note that (and yes I have been going through
        my loft to find all this!!!) – concerns were raised at the solvency
        of the Fed in late 2000 and Tim's transparency in reporting – and
        yes, I do know seven years is a long time after this…

        With regards to an easy question Dr Tom Woodin is now at the
        Institute of Education in London - Tom as a major thesis evaluated
        the Federation of Worker Writers and Community Publishers since the
        early 1970s with his study raising a number of issues around informal
        education, writing, social movements, class and culture.

        2005
        Building culture from the bottom-up: the educational origins of the
        FWWCP
        Woodin, Tom
        History of Education, 34, 4, July, 345-63

        Having read Tom's published papers, they make for interesting reading
        and give a good insight as to why the Fed started etc.

        Very best wishes to all!

        Paul

        Paul J King

        E-mail: paul@...

        --- In CWRAP@yahoogroups.com, "Ashley Jordan" <ashley@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > the lack of response to our `shattering' news of the Fed's problems,
        > indifferent to what the Fed had to offer.
        >
        > This is a fantastic opportunity for us to reach out to the UK member
        > groups. I think we should now try to personally visit each and
        every
        > one of them. We have a pretty good geographic spread – London is
        > particularly well represented but that is where a lot of our member
        > groups are based.
        >
        > We have a links section available in the cwrap e-group. It is quite
        > likely that the Fed website will be pulled down once the web hosts
        > realize they are not going to get any money from us. I'm going to
        start
        > copying all the existing links over the next few days and using
        those
        > contact details to try to spread the cwrap around a bit :-) (Unless

      • NICHOLAS POLLARD
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15 2:21 AM
          Hi all

          I have saved pdfs of all the Fed publications in the website (I think) - but they're still up at the moment so download while you can. So I can at some point get these back up into the cwrap files. This is useful from an archive point of view, but I suspect that we really have to get explore what kinds of things we are doing now.

          For example, Shorelink has been evolving a lot of innovative practices that others can apply and develop themselves, but people may need to know and be stimulated by the very concrete information on how you do this. In the Fed at lot of this stuff wasn't written down, we just told each other. But consequently it isn't available when you need it - you find yourself referring back to The Republic of Letters (1982), the 1996 Yorkshire Arts Circus book The Book Starts Here by Reini Schule and Karl Woolley - or reinventing the wheel.

          I've also just circulated this list to other people, not from the old Fed, with whom I've been talking about community publishing practices. With so much discussion of community development approaches - a lot of rhetoric but not much idea about how you actually do it - the experience of this group could be a very useful resource. In South Africa, for example, Theresa Lorenzo has been developing small community publishing projects with groups of disabled women in Khayelitsa, a very impoverished township, in which people tell their stories about how they have set up small businesses or enterprises to sustain themselves. Because black cultures have been so damaged by the experiences of apartheid and colonialism, it is possible that community publishing forms offer one way of rediscovering, sharing and revitalising their own traditional cultures.

          Back in the UK, I stumbled on the website of a prominent right wing party a few months ago in a search for working class narratives. This party are actively seeking the narratives of working class 'heroes' to build into their version of kultur and asking for contributions to their archive of such stories. Superficially such an exercise sounds very reasonable but actually is part and parcel of the machinery of presentation of this kind of fascism.

          With this kind of thing around it may be inopportune to have lost the Fed, but if people are recognising the value of working class narratives to extreme right wing perspectives, it is important that we get on with reclaiming the broad mixture of visions we had - this, despite the discussion we maintained on worker writing, always transcended an idea of class with its inclusion. In addition to the papers Paul King mentions by Tom Woodin, there is also this useful paper http://www.scsonline.freeserve.co.uk/carib.htm from Sandra Courtman, published in 2000.

          Cheers for now

          Nick