In Your Own Voice---

  • cynthia
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007
      What's going on around us—What is under our feet and on our
      doorstep? I have thought about this on and off over the bank holiday
      weekend, in between baking my body in the sun with or without sun tan
      cream (what a silly name it is, it should be called a sun tan
      preventative cream) and trying not to do anything around the house so
      that I felt it was a holiday. We could talk about the weather or not,
      TV; politics; religion are all out in my book anyway, so what's left—
      BINS should we pay for them to be taken away? Err no that's politics
      really, well it will lead onto what we think of politicians won't it?
      See what I mean you're getting fidgety already at the very thought of
      those ideas…
      This is beginning to wander all over the place; I will get to a theme
      in a minute. So what do you think of this….. What do you like about
      now? Now and chocolate; two excellent things to think about, I could
      meditate on either or both at the same time and wind up feeling
      really good about my self. Yes Now. I think it was Alice when she
      asked the red queen about a sandwich if I remember rightly – The
      queen said, "The rule is jam tomorrow and jam yesterday, but never
      jam today."
      ----" That's life really, on my doorstep anyway it is, that's my now,
      materially, jam wise, never right now. There's a lot to be said for
      having no jam though, it means you have to improvise, that is
      metaphorically of course. There is so much to buy in supermarkets now
      that you don't have to think about what to wear or eat or do—it's
      just there—instantly watch a DVD; buy a cooked dinner; or a new dress
      or t-shirt to wear. All now, cheap, someone else idea, switch off--
      go buy. I think I am on this train because I saw on the TV some rich
      person burning all his designer clothes, all to make himself feel
      good, but what would a charity shop have done with them? Such mean
      waste made me angry, he meant to somehow absolve himself from the now
      instant greedy world of dress competitiveness and somehow got lost.
      That's been my instant feeling but I suppose he felt good. Is that
      all that matters? Is it? Well is it?

      Chocolate; that's after now, even that is a bone of contention.
      Should we really be enjoying a food that is harvested by kids without
      enough food to eat for themselves? Is there nothing I can eat or use
      or wear without feeling guilty? Is that what chocolate and now boil
      down to---guilt?

      Well you did ask--------

      Cynthia Price.
      Stevenage Survivors