Re: [TheFED] Archives

  • Pat Smart
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi there, Louise has already been up to pecket and begun setting up the spare computers for the information - would be good if somebody had a copy of access, as she thinks it would be better than X-L for the archive info. As said rooms all ready, just the bods and time to do it. There can be up to 4 at a time inputting info - only nights not available Monday or Tues. as courses the next day, other than that people can stay over to make the journey worth it (not a good idea to be on your own though!!) So, my end sorted, let's wait for the 'beef' to do the heavy work!
      Hope you all have a good Christmas break, however you celebrate it and for whatever reason. take care - XXXXX Pat

    • John Malcomson
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007

        HI

        I have a copy of Access, which you are welcome to borrow.

        Let me know how to get it to whoever needs it.

        Love

        John

        Hi there, Louise has already been up to pecket and begun setting up the spare computers for the information - would be good if somebody had a copy of access, as she thinks it would be better than X-L for the archive info. As said rooms all ready, just the bods and time to do it. There can be up to 4 at a time inputting info - only nights not available Monday or Tues. as courses the next day, other than that people can stay over to make the journey worth it (not a good idea to be on your own though!!) So, my end sorted, let's wait for the 'beef' to do the heavy work!
        Hope you all have a good Christmas break, however you celebrate it and for whatever reason. take care - XXXXX Pat

      • Ashley Jordan
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2007
        • Pat Smart
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
            Hi John,
            thanks, seems Ashley has loaded a decent one onto the files section, and I can get it from there. If a prob, I will take you up on that.
            Take care, Pat

          • Dave Chambers
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 5, 2007
              --- In TheFED@yahoogroups.com, Pat Smart <scouse_pat@...> wrote:

              > Hi Pat,
              > I think Ashley has hit upon the solution. Open Office is free for
              us all to use and we don't have to worry about being called pirates
              or any other such things.
              What Ashley has uploaded is the place where you can download it
              from http:www.openoffice,org and it's a 118MB from there, and that's
              the best way to get it because you always get the latest stable
              version, currently 2.3.1.
              If this is a problem one thing you can do is go to your local
              newsagent and inspect the computer magazines with cds or dvds on and
              look at the contents because open office is often on those discs,
              particularly the dvds. Or better, if you know someone who gets one
              regularly, ask to borrow the dvd, as long as it's within the last
              couple of months.
              If all else fails, let me know and I'll copy it to a cd and send
              it to you.
              I've used it for some time now alternating between that and
              MSoffice 2000, eventually I'll be giving up MSoffice because updating
              costs a lot more than OO and when I send documents to people I tell
              OO to save as a word '.doc' file and nobody notices the difference. I
              have not used either of the two databases so can't comment about
              them, but I've not heard anything bad.
              Hope this helps
              Dave Chambers

              > ---------------------------------
              > Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo!
              for Good

            • Ashley Jordan
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 6, 2007
              • Ashley Jordan
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 6, 2007
                • Dave Chambers
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 6, 2007
                    Hi Ashley,
                    I imagine that this file did indeed exceed size limits, in
                    simple storage terms as well as transmiting rules. Much better to go
                    to the official site an d choose one of their UK mirrors, just follow
                    directions given. There's a big green oblong with text inside it
                    which says "Openoffice... ... Latest Stable" and that's the one we
                    want. Clicking that will take you to a page of links to "mirrors".
                    Look for one with a UK ending and click that. Then you get a choice
                    of openoffice for apple, linux, sun, pc, ... We click the one for
                    Windows98/2000/xp/vista and the download should begin.
                    This is to augment my earlier email. I'm away just now, back on
                    Sunday, let me know and if you want to I can send a copy on CD.
                    Hope this helps
                    Dave Chambers

                    > Hi Pat,
                    >
                    > I'm intrigued - why is it not a good idea to be on your own?
                    >
                    > Love & Light,
                    >
                    > Ashley

                    Behalf
                    > Of Pat Smart
                    > Sent: 02 December 2007 15:31
                    > To: TheFED@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [TheFED] Archives
                    >
                    > Hi there, Louise has already been up to pecket and begun setting
                    up the
                    > spare computers for the information - would be good if somebody
                    had a
                    > copy of access, as she thinks it would be better than X-L for the
                    > archive info. As said rooms all ready, just the bods and time to
                    do it.
                    > There can be up to 4 at a time inputting info - only nights not
                    > available Monday or Tues. as courses the next day, other than that
                    > people can stay over to make the journey worth it (not a good idea
                    to be
                    > on your own though!!) So, my end sorted, let's wait for the 'beef'
                    to do
                    > the heavy work!
                    > Hope you all have a good Christmas break, however you celebrate it
                    and
                    > for whatever reason. take care - XXXXX Pat
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo!
                    > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailuk/taglines/isp/control/*http:/
                    us.rd.yahoo.c
                    > om/evt=51947/*http:/uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/> for Good

                  • Pat Smart
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 6, 2007
                      Hi Ash,
                      not a good idea as the building is so big and lonely - and our directors have a few rules, one of them is that no one stays alone in the building - so there!
                      It's creaky and old and we have a ghosty!!! Seriously, it could be up to 3 - 4 days when things are slow up there B4 anyone goes up to college, if you have a fall or summat!!

                      I don't suppose there will be any one coming down just to do an hour or so in the day and I just assume they'd like to stay over! If the snow falls up the hill, you have around 30 minutes to get down to Hebden Bridge or you can be snowed in for a few days or more to boot! Good in the Spring and Summer though.

                      Thanks Dave, I will have a go as soon as I find time, need to find a bit for myself as well !!
                      Take care and all have a good old Crimbo. XXX Pat 'n' John

                      Sent from Yahoo! - the World's favourite mail.
                    • Lucia Birch
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 10, 2007
                        Yes.. I did try and download..but ended up cancelling as it wouldn't do it...will try your suggestions Dave..Have tried to ring Pete at Burslem re archives twice now..no reply..possible that its shut now for Christmas..so will try again and then leave it to the New Year..
                             Spoke to Louise.., and will help keep her updated as she is keen to get going on the archives and is gathering info that she needs too.
                              Have been really busy myself lately..so I will probably post a Seasonal Greeting to all over the next week or so...
                            Much love to All.....Lucia xx

                          Did anyone have trouble downloading OpenOffice from the link I posted in the files section?  I tried to post the whole thing but it exceeded our size limit…

                          Love & Light,

                          Ashley

                          Sent from Yahoo! - a smarter inbox.

                        • Lucia Birch
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007
                            Hello Elisia..Thanks...really we just want to know exactly when they need the archives out by...we are hoping that it can now wait until the New Year. That would give us more time to make arrangements to hire a van pick up all the boxes and get them to Pecket. If you can glean any more info that would be good.
                                        Love ....Lucia x

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 13, 2008
                              Thanks Elisia...all that info is great...Sorry I don't have any dates at the moment...I have had a flu-type lurgy the last few days so that has slowed me down a bit. But it looks like we have several offers of help now ...thanks... so I will keep on the case and let you know what is happening as soon as I have any ideas of when we can get away.
                                   Best wishes and thanks...Lucia

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 14, 2008
                                I hope you get better soon Lucia, I had the flu over Xmas and was in bed for four days - eat plenty of garlic and do as little as possible. I'm going away now until Friday, but I'm sure if you needed to speak to anyone from this end you could contact Steve O.

                                best wishes,

                                Elisia