19502Its Here! : The Comic Strip Companion 1964-1979

  • TheDoctorsTalbotSamba-owner@yahoogroups.c
    Sep 18, 2012
      Seemingly as long in the making as the Dr Who comic strip itself, Paul Scoones' 'Comic Strip Companion' has finally landed, and it is more marvelous than Bagpuss' friends' Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ!

      I have no idea how many years ago it was when Paul contacted me when we used to torrent the strips through Demonoid, but it has definitely been worth the wait for the book he once mentioned about an idea for.

      http://imageshack.us/a/img854/8045/thecomicbook.jpg

      http://imageshack.us/a/img854/8045/thecomicbook.jpg

      Telos' originally touted the book for release on the 30th Sept but their pre-orders have been sent out as soon as they arrived from the printers.

      The book arrived at my house yesterday, but as no-one was in and the 600 page book wouldn't fit through my letterbox I didn't reclaim it from the post office until today.

      As the collating of the Dr Who TV Comic strips took years with assistance from many collectors in this group I asked Paul to slip a little mention for those helpful fellows in the acknowledgements.   I was only expecting some small print at the back of the book, but we seem to have been spoiled.  I have a rubbish cold at the moment but the appearance of the nice fat shiny book brightened my day, and then it got a bit brighter when I read the acknowlegements page.   And he didnt even mention that he had to point out that I'd spelt 'paraphernalia' wrong on the title page of this site when he joined (after no-one else had mentioned it in the months/years? that the group had then been around!

      I freely admit that I'm not the biggest reader of books.  Infact I cant actually remember when the last time was when I read a novel cover to cover.   I just don't seem to find the time to sit when there's nothing else to do and no-one else bothering me, so genuinely this is my favourite sort of book.  Like the Discontinuity Guide, or the Dr Who (Doctor) Handbooks this is a book where you can open it at any page and read some interesting and informative facts, and then flick back to another section to reference the bit you have just read to another strip or information panel.  This combined with the fact that this book is about one of my most favouritest subjects to do a bit of research into.   This book will definitely be read cover to cover though.

      After reading the first few pages of the book, I opened it at random and read a really funny quote from one of the strips, which I cant find now to quote it!

      Thank you Paul for something for me to treasure and enjoy.   I really must find time one day to scan that Philip and Anne, Red Ray story set in New Zealand!

      This usual book is available from the links below and there is also now a limited hard cover edition from Telos with a different cover  by 90 year old Bill Mevin.

      Order from Telos

      Order From Amazon   Where its also now in stock.

      For those not in the know, this group continues in a sporadic fashion over at Receptacle  and I've been spending the last couple of years assisting in the collating of The Avengers (Steed & Peel, and Gale and Keel and King and Purdey and Gambit (good name that) over at The Forget Me Notes  Group.

      Ian

      --- In TheDoctorsTalbotSamba@yahoogroups.com, "paulscoones" <paulscoones@...> wrote:

      > [Thank you to Ian for offering to temporarily re-open this group in
      > order that I can make the following announcement.]
      > The Comic Strip Companion: The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to
      > Doctor Who in Comics: 1964 — 1979by Paul Scoones
      > First launched in the pages of TV Comic in November 1964, the comic
      > strip version of Doctor Who is just one year younger than the television
      > series on which it is based. This is its story.
      > This volume chronicles the first 15 years of the Doctor Who comic strip
      > from its origin in TV Comic to just before the ongoing strip was
      > launched as a regular feature in Doctor Who Weekly in 1979. During this
      > time more than 200 comic strip stories were published in the pages of TV
      > Comic, Countdown, TV Action, TV Century 21, The Dr Who Annual and the
      > Dalek books.
      > Every strip is covered in depth, including plot details, continuity,
      > points of interest and analysis. For the first time, details about the
      > creation and development of the adventures are documented, alongside
      > comments from some of the original writers and artists.
      > Follow the exploits of the Doctor in his first four incarnations
      > alongside John, Gillian, Jamie, Sarah and Leela as he battles Daleks,
      > Cybermen, Quarks, Kleptons, Trods, Sarracoids and the Ugrakks!
      > The Comic Strip Companion is your comprehensive guide to Doctor Who in
      > the comics.
      > The book is an A5 paperback, approx. 500 pages long with an 8-page
      > colour section.
      > Scheduled for 30 September 2012 from Telos Publishing, the book is now
      > available to pre-order online:
      > Telos:http://www.telos.me.uk/category.php?id=6#132
      > <http://www.telos.me.uk/category.php?id=6#132>
      > Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/THE-COMIC-STRIP-COMPANION-UNAUTHORISED/dp\