Poem by Nazir, from the book, Two Suns Rising

  • santmat_mystic ( James )
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2006
      Poem by Nazir, from the book, Two Suns Rising

      My dear friend. How am I to tell you of the many vagaries on the
      path of love? How am I to speak of what happened to me? All of a
      sudden tears began to flow from my eyes, and I was filled with the
      desire to find the one that everyone adores. All poise and decorem
      left me as the yearning to meet Him rose up from within my heart. I
      became impatient, restless, unmindful of my actions. I soon dyed my
      garments in red, and I pit a garland around my neck. I rubbed ashes
      on my body, adorned myself with a string if beads, and became a yogi
      to all who saw me. Thus attired I began my quest. As a yogi I looked
      for my Beloved from door to door; In the lanes and in the streets I
      searched for Him. My heart was burning with a fire. Sometimes I
      howled like a madman, other times I cried like a babe. Sighs from my
      lips came out as hot vapor; A flood of tears fell from my eyes, and
      all the world spun round me. My madness drew a crowd, I sought my
      friend in flesh and blood, but all I ever got were excuses. Whoever
      came before me I asked, "O tell me, where can I meet my Beloved?"
      Sometimes I took to a rosary; With every bead that passed through my
      fingers I asked, "Where is He? Where is He?" I knew nothing; I knew
      not what to seek, I knew not where to go. Whom was I to ask and
      where was I to wander? What path to follow? What instructions to
      pursue, whereby I might find my Beloved? Seeking Him I reached the
      mosque. But all I found were vain discussions on on sacraments and
      ceremonials. My heart told me to go to a seminary; Maybe there I
      might meet my Lord. But all I met was the uproar of discussion, the
      scholars puffed with their eloquence. I was advised to go visit the
      temple. There I found only idols being worshipped and gongs being
      sounded. Disguised I sought a stone to strike my head against; for
      nowhere could I find that callous Beloved of mine. Then I went on a
      pilgrimage to all the holy spots. Maybe I would find my Beloved
      there. So I stopped every holy place and bowed before many blessed
      deities, but it brought me to no comfort. And when I found myself
      helpless, I left the towns and temples to wander in the jungle. In
      the wilderness I wept and shed hot tears. I asked myself how long
      must I bear the agony of separation? But there was nowhere to go, no
      place to find shelter from my pain. For days I roamed in the forest,
      a poor man, a pilgrim, a homeless fakir. In the mountains too I
      struggled; empty, hungry, thirsty-in a miserable plight, without a
      morsel to appease my hunger, without a drop to quench my thirst. One
      day I was lying in a field, the burning sun overhead. My mind was
      filled with the desire to see Him. But all was in vain; the Lord
      would not show Himself to me. I shed tears of blood that sparkled
      like rubies in the sand. When I reached a state of total despair,
      hoping that death might rescue me from this pain, He, my careless
      Beloved came to me. Like a mother rushing to her sick child. He came
      to me, sat by my side, and placed my head upon His lap. Kind words
      flowed from his lips; "Now see whatever you want to see, I will
      reveal to you all the secrets of my heart. Remember, first we test
      our lover; torture him, oppress him, and force him to shed tears.
      Then we invite him to us. When all his thoughts are of the Beloved
      we allow him to come near, shower him with grace, and hold him in
      our arms. Thus he becomes perfect." As these words reached my ears I
      came back to life, gained consciousness, and was freed of all pain.
      Then I cast one look at His radiant face and the mystery of all
      creation lay bare before me. In one moment the good and the bad
      actions of lifetimes vanished. From separation I passed into Unity;
      all the illusions of life disappeared like a phantom show. Now
      wherever I cast my glance I see Him alone and none other. The
      Muslim, the Hindu, the Jew have all become the same to me-they have
      merged in the Glory of my one Beloved. So says Nazir.