Tuning the Cosmic Radio Dial -- The Yoga of Sound

  • santmat_mystic ( James )
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2005
      Tuning the Cosmic Radio Dial -- The Yoga of Sound

      Tuning the Cosmic Radio Dial -- The Yoga of Sound
      Copyright October 2004
      by James Bean

      The Book of the Hopi" (published by Viking Books), the first
      revelation of the Hopi's historical and religious world-view of
      life, contains a beautiful story of creation. In this genesis
      account, the song of creation is the essential Force that brings to
      life the first humans, "Adam and Eve," if you will, and the Earth
      itself is described as a musical instrument. "All the vibratory
      centers along the Earth's axis from pole to pole resounded His Call;
      the Earth trembled; the universe quivered in tune. Thus He made the
      whole world an instrument of sound, and an instrument for carrying
      messages, resounding praise to the Creator of all." In this account,
      it says that it is our duty, our sacred purpose as human beings to
      echo this song of creation back to the Creator again by "making a
      joyful sound throughout the land."

      Chant and sacred music of the world religions can also cause souls
      to yearn to hear the Harmony of All Harmonies, to develop a desire
      to meditate upon the INNER Sound of the Creator that fills the
      heavens. According to the Masters of Sant Mat and those who practice
      this form of meditation, this Current of Sound, Light, and Love will
      take us back to God again, will take us Home, if we become one with
      it. More later on this Yoga of the Audible Life Stream.

      Sacred music is IMITATING, MIMICKING higher spiritual sounds,
      bringing some aspect of the Music of Heaven to the physical world.
      Tibetan bells and bowls do this very effectively. The inventor of
      the Sitar, the most well-known instrument of Indian classical music,
      said that it was his attempt to "capture the music of the Spirit in
      terms of the physical world." ("The Pilgrimage of James," George
      Arnsby Jones, Peacehaven Press) He considered his attempt "a
      failure." As beautiful as the sitar is, the Real Sound is far more
      glorious than any sound or outer music of this world.

      Harmonic overtone chanting (the singing of two or more notes at the
      same time!) is a vocal technique used in Mongolia, Tuva, Laos, and
      other Asian countries. The human voice is transformed into a sonic
      rainbow of tones and overtones making the human voice resemble the
      Music of the Spheres. A few years back I learned how to do this and
      it's a wonderful practice, a great exercise for the human voice.

      In India, many have verbalized the Sound of the universes "AAAAA
      UUUUU MMMMM," the OM chant. In Tibet, Buddhist monks created an
      otherworldly form of chant -- their attempt to reproduce audibly
      some of the inner sounds they heard during their meditations. The
      various Christian, Sethian (Jewish), Hermetic, and other Gnostic
      schools of Egypt also devised forms of chant that they perceived as
      verbally mimicking/expressing the Real Name of God that otherwise is
      hidden in the silence of the soul. They chanted various combinations
      of vowels: "I praise You. I call your Name that is hidden within me:
      A O EE O EE OOOOOOO IIIII OOO
      OOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO." (The Gospel of the
      Egyptians in: "The Nag Hammadi Library In English," James M.
      Robinson, Harper Collins)

      The Gnostic Gospels are filled with many examples of chant and Names
      of God that were used by Egyptian mystics during meditation practice
      to explore the Kingdom of the Heavens within, what my teacher
      called "the Wonders of Inner Space." These ancient texts provide
      many examples of souls ascending in spirit through various heavenly
      realms on their way back to "The Eighth," where the Nameless,
      Formless, Soundless God, the Ocean of Love and Compassion resides.

      Whether it's drumming, Russian Orthodox or Coptic chant, or
      Gregorian plainchant, an Indian classical raga or bagpipes, for
      millennia humans have been echoing various aspects of this Song of
      Creation.

      "For in the beginning of the times so did we all share in the Holy
      Stream of Sound that gave birth to all creation." (Essene Gospel of
      Peace, Volume Four, The Teachings of the Elect)