Where is Pure Land?| Why Compassion?| Why Rituals?| Nature to Sting Vs Nature to Save| Novice Monk Reflections

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2006
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 04.05.06

      Get this newsletter | Get news-free version | TDE-Weekly Archive
      ______
      Quote:

      As "when the mind is pure, the land is pure",
      Pure Land can be either here, there,
      nowhere, anywhere or everywhere.

      Where is your Pure Land now?
      Where is your Pure Land going to be?

      - stonepeace
      _____
      Links:

      A Rationale for Cultivating Compassion
      The Rationale for Having Rituals
      Moonpointer : Fresh Offerings (30/4)

      Archive | RSS | Please share with us @ comment@...
      Realisation: The Nature to Sting Vs the Nature to Save

      One who greatly helps another despite being greatly harmed is a great fool or a great Bodhisattva.
       - stonepeace

      Here is a wonderful Zen story to share... Two monks were washing their bowls by a river, when they spotted a scorpion about to drown. Without hesitation, one scooped it up with his hand and laid it on the land, getting stung while doing so. When he resumed washing his bowl, the scorpion fell in again. The same monk again saved the scorpion, and was again stung. The other monk asked in great surprise, "Why continue saving it when its nature is to sting?" The first monk replied, "Because it's my nature to save." Whenever this story is told, listeners are usually either touched by the first monk's relentless and unconditional compassion, or baffled by his "unrepentant stupidity". How does it affect you?

      Is the first monk with great compassion but lacking in wisdom? Well, to prevent being bitten, he could have used his bowl to scoop the scorpion? And he could have placed the scorpion further away from the river? That would be utilising appropriate skilful means to "better save" the scorpion. When one means is proven faulty, another means should be used. Is the second monk with some wisdom but lacking in compassion? Perhaps he was considering his safety too selfishly to think of risking a small selfless act? Thus should compassion and wisdom go hand in hand on the Bodhisattva path of helping other beings. True wisdom is knowing how to be compassionate effectively, and true compassion is to be wise effectively.

      Though a suddenly 'provoked' scorpion might sting, it does not always sting, doing so only when it thinks it is being harmed instead of helped. Thus, its nature to sting is actually impermanent, as the scorpion is "empty" of any fixed traits. The scorpion also refers to the unthankful people we help. Mindful that no one is permanently of the nature to 'sting', why not carry on helping? It is undying compassion that cannot bear to see others in pain, that never gives up lending a hand, that eventually touches and transforms the ungrateful. Even if it fails to, the joy from being kind is a reward! When we practise compassion despite it often being a thankless "job", without expecting any gratitude, while even open to the possibility of being harmed, then surely, this is true compassion in action. But remember to apply true wisdom too!

      - Shen Shi'an

      Please share with us your views and articles @ comment@...
      Review: Response to "The Meaning of Real Prosperity"
      Excerpt: Reflections of a Young Temporary Novice Monk

       The ideal way of life should be ideally emulated, even if not ideally lived. - stonepeace

      Every time I break a precept, I try to make up for it by doing something good, like sweeping the monastery grounds or helping the old monks, even if I havn't been told to. The point is that I always know for myself when I've broken a precept or rule and I feel a bit ashamed about it, so just knowing I've been bad is the punishment for me. Whether I'm successful at following the precepts or not, they've made me much more aware of my own good and bad behaviour. Now I try to think more carefully before I do or say anything and try to be aware of the possible results of my actions and speech. Sometimes, I see other novices and monks behaving badly, much worse than me, but I try not to be influenced by them. I also see others practising really well, but that doesn't influence me either because I think I'm already doing the best I personally can. But I admire them when I see them practising properly and I'm glad there are so many good monks and novices... I like meditation because I think it's helpful not only in my life as a novice and student now, but will also be useful in the future when I have to work, or have my own family. It trains me to be calm, to keep control of my bad feelings, and it helps my headache go away after a while. After I meditate, my thinking is always clearer, which is useful in my studies.

      - Little Angels: Life as a Novice Monk in Thailand (Phra Peter Pannapadipo)
        This and more available @ Awareness Place: www.AwarenessPlace.com
      News below are compiled weekly from DharmaNews
      For faster news, send blank mail to
      Dharmanews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      [SBF] Project Million Lotus - Be a part of this inter-religious event today!
      [PKS] Harmony Cheers
      [PKS] Vesak Celebrations
      [PKS/VSS/ECO] Gratitude to Earth & Earthlings: Exhibition on Environmentalism & Vegetarianism
      kmsYM: ga 2550 Gratitude Expressing Art
      [PKS] Voices of Harmony, Sounds of A Thousand Years
      [PKS] Distribution of Tickets for 3-Steps-1-Bow Ceremony
      [PKS] Give Blood, Give Life
      [SBF] Singapore Celebrates Vesak 2550 Website
      [KYCL] Vesak Day Celebration & Children Art Competition
      [MWA] Metta Charity Walk cum Family Carnival 2006
      [KCL] Vesak Celebrations
      [BEC] Many New Activities
      [NUSBSA] 8th Chinese Meditation Retreat
      [NUSBS] Meditation Retreat
      [DDM] Meditation: Basic & Chan3
      [FKS] Vesak Celebrations & Donation of Wheechairs
      [TBA] Dhamma Talk at Ti-Sarana Buddhist Association
      [SBWS] Services on the Buddha of Healing/ Buddha Bathing/ Refuge-taking/ Candlelight Procession/ Peace Homage/ Vesak Services
      Amended: kmsYM: May *w*s*d*p* / gt2550: Gratitude Tour 2550
      [BF] Musical: Opening the Door of Your Heart
      [Aaloka Buddhist Center] 3 Day Lights/Flowers Offering
      [PKS] Awaken Buddhist Course
      [PKS] Bodhicitta - Mind of Enlightenment/ Practice of Amitabha & Phowa
      [KCKL] Dharma Discussion
      [HIT] Refuge Ceremony
      [SYCC] Vesak 2550 Light Offerings at Bodhgaya
      [SYCC] SMARTeen Holiday Training Program
      [SBFC] Vegetarian Family Fun Fair
      [KYCL] Apr/May Activities
      [TLC] Yoga Fasting Retreat/ General Yoga/ Intermediate Yoga/ Children Yoga/ Yoga Kidz
      [BBDC] Shurangama Retreat in Australia
      [OJCS] Dementia Caregivers Workgroup
      [PKS] Music Innoculation Course
      [BBDC] 2nd Qtr & Weekly Activities
      [FKS] Apr/May Program
      [PBSS] Many Activities
      [BF] April Meditation Retreat & Correction to Dhamma Classes for Children
      [VIC] Meditation Course

      Chinese Events
      More Events after 04
      /05
      Events/Notices RSS | World News
      ______
      Notices

      [PKS] Vesak E-Greeting
      [PKS] Survey on Mobile Contents

      Volunteers
      kmsYM: We Need Volunteers for KMSPKS Vesak 2550

      kmsYM: Recruitment drive for Vesak Day Trail Guides
      [
      PKS] FlashMX Volunteers for Dharma Projects
      [
      PKS] Sat/Sun School Dharma Volunteer
      kmsYM: Graphic Designer (still valid)
      Jobs
      [MWA] Admin Assts & Program Officers
      [PKS] Contract Programmer/ Event Project Executive/ Asst Teacher cum Admin Asst
      [HIT] Admin Asst
      [SYCC] Exec (Corporate Development Services)
      [KS] Childcare Teacher
      [
      BCS] English Teacher for Buddhist College of Singapore
      [SBF] Project Executive

      Chinese Notices
      More Notices after 04/05
      See
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew for Chinese TDE. To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly (TheDailyEnlightenment.com) is a free multi-traditional Dharma inspiration e-newsletter (members:23,000+) run by kmspks.org. Please support us by contributing articles and encouraging friends to subscribe. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@... The opinions in the articles, and those of event organisers do not necessarily reflect ours. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors and are not to be reproduced without permission. Pictures belong to the domains they are from.