Being, Not Behaving| Gentlemen & Gentlewomen| Poor Thing!| Mindfulness of the Buddha(s)| When "Bad" Things Happen to "Good" People| Who is the Watcher of Your Mind?

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2006
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 25.03.06

      Get this newsletter | Get news-free version | TDE-Weekly Archive
      ______
      Quote:

      Being moral is more important than behaving morally.
      Being kind is more important then behaving kindly.
      Being wise is more important than behaving wisely.

      - stonepeace
      _____
      Links:

      To Be Gentlemen & Gentlewomen
      Oh! The Poor Thing!
      What Are You (Un)mindful) Of?
      Mindfulness of the Buddha(s)
      Moonpointer : Latest Offerings (23/3)

      Archive | RSS | Please share with us @ comment@...
      Realisation: When "Bad" Things Happen to "Good" People

      To avoid evil, to do good, and to purify the mind - this is the teaching of all Buddhas.
       - The Buddha

      Sometimes, we hear fellow Buddhists bitterly lament of having to suffer some grave "injustice" - despite having exerted much effort to help others. The pain is worsened by the belief of having done absolutely no evil to deserve it. They then become disheartened about doing any more good, pronouncing goodness to be utterly useless. But it is much wiser to believe in the impartial law of moral cause and effect (karma) than not to. After all, in nature, we reap only the fruits borne of the seeds we sow - not random fruits. It makes more sense to believe in karma (or something similar) because if no one in the whole world does, there would be total moral chaos. Which world do you prefer? One in which most believe in karma or one in which there are no believers? The immoral tend to be caught by the human law anyway - a means through which karma manifests! It is worth noting too, that no experience is totally "good" or "bad" - since each can lead to the other eventually.

      Would you want all the do-gooders who make the world a better place to give up their efforts? If not, why should we? Doing good brings its own happiness in the moment, as we rejoice in bringing happiness to others. If we are calculative in wanting good karma or future happiness for doing good, surely, our intentions (which are what really create karma) aren't pure at alll. Our created karma is only as good as our intentions are selfless, instead of selfish. Truly helping others should not be a matter of "What's in it for me?", but a matter of "What's in it for others?" Similarly, we should ask ourselves - Do we want a world where everyone helps each other solely out of genuine generosity, or out of ulterior motives? Since we are part of this world, the actualising of a better world begins with us helping the part of the world we are in now.

      Can karma be inherited? While there is collective or common karma that binds a family together, every individual creates and bears "uncommon" personal karma too. Buddhist or not, bad things can happen to good families. Then again, if we are truly good, we would be Buddhas already! Surely, we have the burden of negative karma (created in this and previous lives) which bears fruits occasionally, even as we do good. Good karma too, might not ripen as timely as we wish, or in ways we wish - when it isn't good enough! Experiencing "injustice" badly also means we are not well-practised enough to trust the law of karma, which ensures moral justice. "Anyway, whether one believes in karma or not, surely, it is not healthy to be bitter about "injustice" or to believe the world is a completely injust place. We will definitely not be better off if we cease doing good - for goodness' sake or to dilute the ill effects of negative karma. Strive on doing good! The fruition of good karma... all in good time!
      - Shen Shi'an

      Please share with us your views and articles @ comment@...
      Review: Response to "What is the Best Reference of Objectivity?"
      ________________________________
      Excerpt: Who is the Watcher of Your Mind?

       There is only watching without a watcher, thoughts without a thinker. - stonepeace

      My experience when I meditate, and I think it's the same for most people, is the dual experience of mind, not the non-dual experience of mind, it seems like there is a watcher, an awareness that is watching the stream of consciousness. It's like standing on the side of a river and watching the river flow by. Except in this case, there is an awareness, which we are calling the watcher... It seems to me that the essence of ego is just this - the ego is actually the watcher in those moments when it grasps (or rejects) the meanings - the thoughts and emotions - that appear in its stream of consciousness... So the watcher is actually a thought... - the mechanism by which the mind creates an (illusory) concept of its "self" is one in which one thought grasps another thought.

      - The Healthy Mind Interviews Vol.II (Khenpo Tsewang Gyatso & Henry Miles Vyner M.D.)
      News below are compiled weekly from DharmaNews
      For faster news, send blank mail to
      Dharmanews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Sg: Project Million Lotus - Be a part of this inter-religious event today!
      kmsYM: Million Lotus Folding Session - Starting this weekend
      kmsYM: Million Lotus Folding Session (Details)
      kmsYM: Donate your Unwanted Paper; Let us Turn them into a Million Lotuses!
      [PKS] Harmony Cheers
      [MFTNH] Savour Our Local & International Food Fair
      [FKS] Feb/Mar Program
      [FKS] Apr/May Program
      [PKS] Personal Diligence Session
      [PBSS] Many Activities
      [CASonline] Longchenpa -- the Gangteng Tulku
      [CASonline] His Eminence the Gangteng Tulku
      [CASonline] Dharma Programme of HE Gangteng Rinpoche
      [CASonline] For our Frens
      [BF] April Meditation Retreat & Correction to Dhamma Classes for Children
      [BF] Introduction to Vajrayana Buddhism
      [BDMS] April Events
      [VIC] 10 Day Course in May
      [PKS] Insight Meditation
      [Ci Xiu Zang Lin] Dharma Talks: Buddhist Philosophy of Life and Death
      [Buddhist Sincerity Society] Pureland Practice
      [PNBA] Meditation Teaching, Manjushri Empowerment, Gesar & Mahakala Puja
      [BF] Vesak Special Musical with Ajahn Brahm
      [MV] Vipassana Meditation for Beginners
      [DDM] Meditation Retreat & Basic Meditation Course
      [TLC] Yoga Fasting Retreat
      [TLC] Kid's Yoga
      kmsYM: Mar *w*s*d*p*
      30/03 There is Another Way!
      13/04 Introduction to Pureland : Summary of Amitabha Sutra

      [PKS] Discussion of Amitabha Sutra
      [PKS] Workshop by Prof. Cheng Chen Huang: Modern Relaxation Techniques & Enlightenment
      [SYCC] Courage Despite Cancer: Steps for Self-Care (Mandarin forum & workshop)
      [
      SYCC] Workshop on "After the Ceremony, Preserving a Lasting Love"
      [SYCC] Motivational Interviewing Workshops
      [SYCC] Meditation using Mind-Body Medicine Techniques
      [KS] 3 Day Workshop on Intervention for Children with Special Needs
      [PBSS] Discourse on The Vimalakirti Sutra
      [DDM] Dharma Drum Sangha University Open
      [
      HGS] Avatamsaka Sutra Retreat
      [PKS] Purifying the Mind: Vajrasattva Workshop with Teachings on Emptiness
      by Ven. Thubten Chodron
      [HIT] Mar Activities
      [BBDC] Jan-Mar Activities

      [PKS] Awaken Buddhist Course

      Chinese Events
      More Events after 25
      /03
      Events/Notices RSS | World News
      ______
      Notices

      Invitation to Help Return Buddhism to India

      Nepal: Appeal for Donations & Supplies
      [BCS] Open for Registration
      Volunteers
      kmsYM: Recruitment drive for Vesak Day Trail Guides
      [DDM] Many Volunteers Needed
      [
      PKS] FlashMX Volunteers for Dharma Projects
      [
      SYCC] Fund-raising Volunteers
      [
      PKS] Sat/Sun School Dharma Volunteer
      kmsYM: Graphic Designer
      Jobs
      [Hai Inn Temple] Admin Assistant Needed
      [MWA] Needed: Accts Exec/ Student Care Program Officers/ Driver-Gen Asst/ Training Officer/ Cook Asst
      [SYCC] Executive (Corporate Development Services)
      [KS] Childcare Teacher Urgently Needed
      [PKS] Admin Asst/ Balloting Asst/ Event Project Exec/ Asst Teacher/ Retail Asst
      [
      BCS] English Teacher for Buddhist College of Singapore
      [SBF] Project Executive

      Chinese Notices
      More Notices after 25/03
      See
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew for Chinese TDE. To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly (TheDailyEnlightenment.com) is a free multi-traditional Dharma inspiration e-newsletter (members:23,000+) run by kmspks.org. Please support us by contributing articles and encouraging friends to subscribe. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@... The opinions in the articles, and those of event organisers do not necessarily reflect ours. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors and are not to be reproduced without permission. Pictures belong to the domains they are from.