Grasp the Ungraspable| Buddhism Superstitious?| How to Forgive?| Why Buddha Images?| Meat & War| Still Carrying| Intellectual & Experiential Understanding

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2006
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 10.02.06

      Get this newsletter | Get news-free version | TDE-Weekly Archive
      ______
      Quote:

      To grasp the ungraspable, we must practise non-grasping.
      How can you hold the sky in your hand?
      Leave your hand open.

      - Dean Sluyter (Cinema Nirvana)
      _____
      Links:

      Is Buddhism Superstitious?
      How to Forgive When Betrayed by a Loved One
      Letter: Do Buddhists Worship the Buddha?
      Letter: Actual Significance of Buddha Statues
      Letter: Birth Dates Never Clash Negatively with those of 'Buddhist gods'
      Can Meat-Eating Contribute to War?

      Launch of Mindfulnest : Enlightened by the Ordinary

      Archive | RSS | Please share with us @ comment@...
      ______________________________________
      Realisation: I Didn't Know You're Still Carrying Her!

       The rule is 'to be not attached' ; not 'to be attached to any rule.' - stonepeace

      Here's a deceivingly simple but ironically humorous Zen story. Maybe you'd heard it many times before, but it holds more lessons than it seems! "One day, two travelling monks encounter a beautiful dressed girl unable to cross a stream. 'Come on!' exclaimed the master without hesitation, as he lifted her up, swiftly carrying her across. Seeing this, his student was shocked, and remained dumbfounded throughout the rest of the journey. Night came, and he was no longer able to stand the tension. Suddenly, he burst aloud, 'Monks aren't supposed to touch women!' Calmly, the master remarked, 'What woman? The one I left by the stream? I didn't know you're still carrying her!'" With mindful wisdom of one's pure intentions, one should be spontaneous in doing what is best in this instant - even if it may seem wrong to others at first. If not, there might be some prideful selfishness inhibiting! When observing moral guidelines, we should abide by the spirit of the "law" instead of sticking blindly to the letter - for what attached to as definitely "wrong" sometimes turn out to be perfectly alright!

      Like the deluded student, we "carry" the burden of what we perceive to be problematic, when there's no need to disturb our peace of mind. Just as he raised his concern almost too "late", we let our speculative doubts trouble us indefinitely - when we can simply suspend judgement or clarify! Even if another is truly doing wrong, there's still no need to be disturbed - we just need to express our concerns with goodwill. And if they're not received with goodwill, there's no need to make that problem of his yours! What seems apparently so might not be really so! The master did not really "carry" the girl afterall, while the student was still very much "attached" to her in his mind! It's now obvious why the master was the master and why the student was just a student! Are you more spiritually masterful like the master, or more of a student? Now empty your mind and read the story again. Put yourself in the shoes of the student monk... Is your reaction to your master's behaviour still that of shock? Hey! I didn't know you're still carrying her!
      - Shen Shi'an

      Please share with us your views and articles @ comment@...
      Review: Response to "Switching Off the Autopilot; Turning On Life"
      _______________________________________
      Excerpt: Of
      Intellectual & Experiential Understanding

      "How well do you understand your understanding?" - stonepeace

      It is important to be able to differentiate between two levels of understanding. One is the superficial, intellectual level, where on the basis of reading, studying or listening to teachings, we distinguish between negative and positive qualities of the mind and recognise their nature and origin. The other is the deeper, experiential level, where we actually cultivate and generate positive qualities within ourselves.

      Although it can be challenging to develop an intellectual understanding of certain topics, it is generally easier because it can be cultivated merely by reading texts or listening to teachings. Experiential understanding is far more difficult to develop, since it comes about from only as a result of sustained practice. At the experential level, your understanding is also accompanied by a strong component of feeling; your understanding is essentially a felt experience.

      - The Essential Dalai Lama : His Important Teachings (Edited by Rajiv Mehrotra)
      News below are compiled weekly from DharmaNews
      For faster news, send blank mail to
      Dharmanews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      [SBF] Fundraising Carnival of Vegetarian Delicacies
      Updated [ABC] Drati Khamtzen Fund-Raising Dinner
      [NTUBS] CIA 2006 Charity Concert
      [FKS] 33 Guan Yin Exhibition
      [PKS] Inaugural Ceremony
      [PKS] Training the Mind
      [DDM] Dharma Drum Sangha University Open
      [PKS] 312 Acupuncture Meridian Exercise
      [PKS] Insight Meditation
      [BDMS] Dr Bhikkhuni Bodhi's Talks
      [SYCC] Motivational Interviewing Workshops
      [MFTNH] Fans of Love - Join the Unveiling New Singapore Record!
      [HGS] Avatamsaka Sutra Retreat
      [PNBA] Fund Raising Project Valentine's Day Special
      [AP] Through Your Love For Each Other
      [VBS] Ganden Tritul & Tenzin Rinpoche Program
      [CASonline] Part 1|2: Paltrul Rinpoche - Lord Buddha Amitabha
      [PKS] Feb Mani Group Practice
      kmsYM: Feb *w*s*d*p*
      16/02: Spirituality Vs Conditioned Attitude (Part 2)
      23/02 Creativity in Volunteering
      [PKS] Living with Wisdom Workshop Series
      [SLBT] Basic Buddhism Course
      [
      SLBT] Basic Abhidhamma Course
      [
      SLBT] Pali Chanting Class
      [PKS] Awaken Buddhist Course
      [AalokaBC] Buddhism Studies
      [VMC] Activities Update
      [DDM] New Classes
      [SBWS] Charity Dinner in Aid of Medical Endowment Fund
      [SBWS] Vegetarian Yu Sheng
      [PKS] Purifying the Mind: Vajrasattva Workshop with Teachings on Emptiness
      by Ven. Thubten Chodron
      [BBDC] Trip to KL
      [SDC] H.E. Kyabje Jampa Yeshe Rinpoche in Town
      [BBDC] Jan-Mar Activities
      [BBDC] Upcoming Activities

      [
      SYCC] Meditation using Mind-Body Medicine Techniques

      [
      HIT] Dharma Class
      [
      FKS] Feb/Mar Activities

      [BCS] Open for Registration
      Chinese Events
      More Events after 10
      /02
      Events/Notices RSS | World News
      ______
      Notices
      kmsYM: Ushering in 2550* [2006]
      Sunny*Rain's Website Revamped!
      [
      SYCC] First Aid with Care
      Nepal: Appeal for Donations & Supplies
      Volunteers
      [DDM] Many Volunteers Needed
      kmsYM: Join the Maitri Pals in Serving the HIV/AIDS Patients
      kmsYM: Temp Work @ Youth Ministry
      [
      PKS] FlashMX Volunteers for Dharma Projects
      [
      SYCC] Fund-raising Volunteers
      [
      PKS] Sat/Sun School Dharma Volunteer
      kmsYM: Graphic Designer
      [
      KS] Organic Farming & Delivery of Vegetables
      Jobs
      [KS] Childcare Teacher Urgently Needed
      [PKS] Admin Asst/ Balloting Asst/ Accts Asst/ Event Project Exec/ Asst Teacher/ Retail Asst
      [BVH] Marketing & Communications Exec Needed at Bright Vision Hospital
      [MWA] Needed: Events & Publicity Exec/ Graphic Designer/ E&P Coordinator/ Admin Asst/ Program Officers/ Staff Nurses/ Cook
      [
      BCS] English Teacher for Buddhist College of Singapore
      [
      SLM] Events Exec Needed
      [SBWS] Temp Accts Asst/ Admin Asst
      [
      SBWS] Kitchen Supervisor
      [
      SBF] Project Executive

      Chinese Notices
      More Notices after 10/02
      See
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew for Chinese TDE. To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly (TheDailyEnlightenment.com) is a free multi-traditional Dharma inspiration e-newsletter (members:20,000+) run by kmspks.org. Please support us by contributing articles and encouraging friends to subscribe. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@... The opinions in the articles, and those of event organisers do not necessarily reflect ours. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors and are not to be reproduced without permission. Pictures belong to the domains they are from.