The Truth | Hardest Part| Middle Path| 11 Piglets| Invisible Universe| Mirror Image of Life| Waking & Sleeping| Wishes Fulfilled

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 01.10.05

      Get this newsletter | Get news-free version | TDE-Weekly Archive
      ______
      Quote:

      No need to "Make your own Truth";
      just "Make the Truth your own."

      - Anon
      _____
      Links:

      The Hardest Part of Anything
      What Really is the Middle Path?
      The Story of the 11 Piglets
      The Sickness of Self-Pressure to Be Well
      Here We Are, Right Now
      See the Invisible Universe
      The Mirror Image of Life
      Do Things Exist or Not Exist?
      Putting Ourselves in the Shoes of Others
      Fresh from Moonpointer

      Archive | RSS | Please share with us @ comment@...
      ___________________________________
      Realisation:
      Waking & Sleeping, Living & Dying

      With this moment awake, futher awake to this moment.
       -stonepeace

      I used to have a bad habit of going to bed only when I'm dead tired. It was as if I was reluctant to lose consciousness to the "nothingness" of sleep, as I drain the last iota of my remaining energy to stay awake - to do my seemingly endless personal projects, even if it was just to read a Dharma book I "had to" finish. And because I sleep late, I struggle to pry open my eyes the morning after, waking up just as reluctantly - to the "everythingness" of life. It was somewhat the suffering yet recovering from a hangover of life itself.

      One day, it struck me that this can be the story of the existential crisis of my life. If I were to see a day in my life as a single lifetime itself, my unwillingness to go to sleep might reflect my strong craving to stay alive, to want to accomplish so much that is yet to be fulfilled, while my fretting of the coming of day might reflect my tiredness and "phobia" of the possible pointlessness of another round of repetitive rebirth.

      But how is it possible that attachment to life can become aversion? The sense of dread dawns in the mornings because I realise I have to go through the mundane routines of life's responsibilities, waking up to the "same old" cycle of stuff I feel obliged to do - wash up, dress up, eat, defecate, read the papers, travel, work, rest... Yet the dread fades away as the day progresses, and morphs into attachment when there is some joy derived in being alive. In the deep of the night, the struggle to stay awake repeats... before my eyelids finally cave in... out of sheer exhaustion. It was crucial that I felt the day was well-lived, as a substantial step towards liberation. But the over-straining was self-defeating, often leading to disappointment.

      Perhaps we should learn to let go of "life" when it is time, by learning to graciously and mindfully let it "slip away" every night. Perhaps it will lessen the physical and mental anguish when it is time to truly die. In fact, a more calm and collected mindstate leads to a better rebirth, if any at all. Every day is a rehearsal for our "big day" - for its moment of our departure. Will you leave gracefully? Will your next destination be "nice"? Will you "wake up", be reborn afresh and at ease? Will you be ready to pick up where you left, to master the unfinished lessons of this cyclic existence? Will you not truly grow in spirituality, to make Samsara less repetitive? Will you not begin breaking free? No need to anticipate a new beginning in a future life - rebirth is already happening moment to moment, as you change your mind, as we speak. Restart now!
       - Shen Shi'an

      Please share with us your views and articles @
      comment@...
      Review: Response to "Is That So? How Is It So?"
      _________________________________
      Excerpt: When All My Wishes Were Fulfilled

      In my tradition, monks aren't allowed to accept, own, or handle any money, whatever its kind. We are so poor that we mess up government statistics. We live frugally on the unsolicited, simple gifts from our lay supporters. However, infrequently, we may be offered something special.

      I had helped a Thai man with a personal problem. Out of gratitude, he said to me: "Sir, I would like to give you something for your personal use. What can I get you for the amount of five hundred baht?" It was usual to quote the amount when making such an offering, to avoid any misunderstanding. Since I wouldn't think what I wanted straight away and he was in a hurry, we agreed that I could tell him the next day when he returned.

      Before this occured, I was a happy little monk. Now I started to contemplate what I wanted. I made a list. The list grew. Soon, five hundred baht wasn't enough. But it was so difficult to take anything off the list. Wants had appeared out of nowhere and solidified into absolute necessities. And the list kept growing. Now, five thousand baht wasn't sufficient!

      Seeing what was happening, I threw my wish list away. The next day, I told my benefactor to give five hundred baht to the monastery building fund or to some other good cause. I didn't want it. What I wanted most of all was to regain the rare contenment I had had the day before. When I had no money, nor the means to get anything, that was the time when all my wishes were fulfilled. Wanting has no end to it. Even one billion baht isn't enough, nor a billion dollars. But freedom from wanting has an end. It is when you want nothing. Contentment is the only time you have enough.

      - Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung? : Inspiring Stories for Welcoming Life's Difficulties (Ajahn Brahm)
        This and more available @ Awareness Place: www.AwarenessPlace.com
      News below are compiled weekly from DharmaNews
      For faster news, send blank mail to
      Dharmanews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      [KYCL] 7th International Zen Conference (WWSF) Programme
      [DDM] Free Basic Meditation Course / 2N5D Meditation Retreat (Silent Illumination)
      [VMC] Robe-Offering / Novitiate Program / Upcoming Activities
      [TC] Cultural Courses: Flower Arrangement, Tea Appreciation, Calligraphy & Yoga Classes
      [TLC] Parenting through Understanding Family Patterns
      kmsYM: Oct *w*s*d*p*
      06/10: The Science & Art of Happiness
      13/10: Managing Your Career
      20/10: Let's Talk About Money
      27/10: Angulimala : How a Notorious Serial Killer Attained Enlightenment
                (Movie-screening vum Dharma Discussion)
      29/10: Y_Cultivation! : Prayer, Teachings cum Q&A Session
      [BF] Ajahn Brahm's Public Dialogues
      [PKS] Sat/Sun School 2006 Open for Registration
      [PKS] Be a Sat/Sun School Dharma Volunteer
      [BF] Youth Oct Activities
      [DDM] Youth Camp
      Sg: Naga Puja
      [BEC] Buddhist Psychology, The Buddha & His Disciples, Meditation for Beginners & Young, Anger & Stress Mgmt, Yoga, Massage, Balanced Lifeworks, Empowering Teens
      [AP] Inside Out Beauty: New Meditation Class,BrainGym, Fountain of Youth and More
      [CASonline] His Eminence Gangkar Huthogthu | Volunteers Needed
      [CASonline] A Dharma Program
      [KS] Invitation to Parents of Autistic Children
      [SCS] Dzogchen Teachings & Cham
      [SYCC] Mindful Aging & Happiness Seminar and Workshops
      [APWC] Brain Gym Course
      [BL] Pali Chanting Class
      [PKS] Great Compassion Service / Threefold Refuge & Five Precepts Ceremony
      [TLC] Self-Enrichment Series:
      01,08/10: Threads of Good Marriage (Spiritual Intimacy)
      15/10:    Dharma Art Workshop with Artist
      [RBS] Dhammapada VI: Affection, Anger & Impurities
      [PKS] Community Emergency Preparedness Program
      [PKS/KCKL] 100 Million Mani Recitation Retreat 2005
      [OJCS] Talk by Dr John Banmen: Loss & Discovery
      [PKS] Living with Wisdom Workshop Series : Understanding Death, Celebrating Life
      [MV] Vipassana Meditation for Beginners

      [DPL] Upcoming Activities
      [CASonline] Sertha Khenpo Jigme Phuntsok
      Chanting 10 Billion Heart Mantra of Vajrasattva
      [Buddhist College of Singapore] Open for Registration
      [PKS] Exploring Buddhism | Stages of the Path to Enlightenment
      [TBA] Talk & Meditation Program by Sayadaw U Agganna
      [CMC] Samatha Meditation Retreat by Sayalay Dipankara
      [PKS] Shui Lu (Water-land) Great Liberation Ceremony (In aid of SBF)
      [ABC] Discovering Buddhism: Refuge in the Three Jewels
      [KS] HSPC Members Activities
      [VMC] Pa-Auk Retreat
      Chinese Events
      More Events after
      01/10
      Events/Notices RSS | World News

      ______
      Notices

      [Tzu Chi Singapore] Notice of Relocation
      [BL] Game Console Needed for Loan for Fun Fair
      Funds Needed for Monk
      [Sera Je Monastery] Help Needed for Monks
      Volunteers
      [Buddhist Support Services] Volunteer Recruitment & Handbook
      [BSS] Buddhist Support Services Helpline
      [KS] Kampung Senang | Organic Farming & Delivery of Vegetables
      Jobs
      Sg: Accts/Admin Asst
      [SBF] Project Executive & Accounts Executive
      [MWA] 9 Situations Vacant
      Whispering Hearts Student Care & Whispering Hearts Infant and Childcare Centres
      [SBF] Buddhist Studies Teacher for Pr Sch Children
      [MFT] Admin Officer for Fundraising & Volunteer Development
      [LHM] Accts Officer
      [SBF] Bldg Dir
      [KS] Coordinator for Cancer Support Gp
      Sg: Counter Supervisor & General Worker
      [CBBS] Admin Mngr
      [SBF] Operation Mngr & Project Exec
      [SLM] Pt-time Graphic Designer
      [MWA] Student Care Program Officer
      [ZBCSC] General Ops Staff
      [MCC] Supervisor, Teachers, Childcare Asst, Infant Care Teacher
      Chinese Notices
      More Notices after 01/10
      See http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew for Chinese TDE. To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly (TheDailyEnlightenment.com) is a free multi-traditional Dharma inspiration e-newsletter (members:20,000+) run by kmspks.org. Please support us by contributing articles and encouraging friends to subscribe. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@... The opinions in the articles, and those of event organisers do not necessarily reflect ours. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors and are not to be reproduced without permission. Pictures belong to the domains they are from.