Skip to search.

Plain Water| Star & Store Wars| Pure Offering| My Eyes in Yours| True Knowing

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2005
      TheDailyEnlightenment.comWeekly 27/05/05

      Get this newsletter | Get news-free version | TDE-Weekly Archive
      ______
      Quote:

      The water a cow laps turns into milk.
      The water a snake licks changes into poison.
      What are you turning what you touch into?

      -Zen Saying
      _____
      Share:

      store_wars_poster_rgb

      Funny "Star Wars" Flash Movie: Join the Organic Rebellion
      Dharma-Inspired Movie Review: Intergalactic Dharma Lessons from "Star Wars (Ep3)"

      Wouldn't It Be Better to Practise the Dharma?
      How A
      Pure Offering Was Made
      Dharma Talks by
      Thich Nhat Hanh
      Do Heart or Brain Transplants Change Personality?
      Stonepeace Reflections | Silent Swirl Reflections
      Pledge for the Meatout Week

      Link Archive | Please share with us @ comment@...
      _______________________________
      Realisation:
      Seeing My Eyes in Your Eyes

      When was the last time your really looked into anyone?

      I never paid much attention to the temple dog. Because he seemed to be constantly grouchy and bummed around a lot, sleeping, eating and getting fat. Yesterday, I found myself waiting for the elevator with him. With no one around and nothing much to do, I bended down and looked intently at him, stretching a beckoning hand. Suddenly, this dog which never showed any interest, walked towards me and looked up - with a never-seen-before shine in his eyes. Big an bright, there was a forlorn glint of sadness and wonder. Having had a bad day, my eyes probably looked sad too, as I look backed in wonder. It was a silent moment of connection. Just like I wished my life was otherwise, maybe he never wanted to be grouchy or fat. Maybe he wished for more than a dog's life.

      It struck me that when we look deep enough into anyone, it is difficult not to connect in some way. When we look hard with our sincerity and mindfulness, we will see the universal existential sadness that plagues us all - a quiet exasperation of unspoken Dukkha, of unsung sorrows hard to put into words. Of grief at the state of the world, at the state of our individual lives. How truly human we are is how deeply we connect with others, with our compassion and wisdom. When you show true concern in others, others tend to show true concern in you. Isn't it time to initiate this cycle of concern? When we connect, we see each other's sadness, and it resonates with us such that we can't just walk away - compassion arises naturally. Walking away would be denying others of their humanity, as much as it denies yours. Yes, it applies to cats and dogs too.

      I changed my handphone recently. As not all the stored numbers were transferred properly, text messages were received with numbers as senders instead of their names. At first, I was frustrated in not knowing who the senders were, before realising it doesn't really matter - most of the messages made sense and could be replied to without knowing who the sender was. I only needed to have equanimity, without like and dislike - especially since I did not know who was who, and treat every "anonymous" sender with equal patience and kindness. Likewise, the challenge is to treat those I like with less attachment and
      those I dislike with less aversion. It was just a minor breakthrough - gazing "anonymously" at the "anonymous" dog with equanimity. In that moment, we were perfectly equal. Looking back, maybe it was a minor breakthrough for him too?
      -Shen Shi'an

      Please share with us @ comment@...
      Review: Response to "The 'Pesky' Pest Problem"
      Excerpt: The Difference Between "Knowing About" & "Knowing"

      Wisdom has nothing to do with intellectual knowledge. Intellectual knowledge can be very helpful. It can clarify things. But there is an enormous difference between "knowing about" and "knowing." Knowing has a sense of direct experience. We could read many books on sugar, for example. We could learn its chemical components, how it's made, how it's produced, the different kinds of sugars, how long sugar has been used by the human race, the kinds of sugars we have in the body, how carbohydrates convert into sugar. We could become "experts" on sugar. But until we taste sugar, we do not know sugar. We only know about it.

      Wisdom occurs when we become what we experience. It is the nature of direct realisation to transform. Once this happens, we will naver be the same again. it doesn't mean that we are totally enlightened. Some people imagine that they are going to sit and meditate for a while and then, in the space of one minute, they're suddenly going to get this big breakthrough full of bright lights, trumpets, angels and flowers falling. It's not like that. Actually, when we meditate we do experience little breakthroughs, like tiny flashes of the unconditioned mind. But that's just the beginning of the process. It's certainly not the end.

      -Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism (Ani Tenzin Palmo)
       Available @ Awareness Place:
      www.AwarenessPlace.com

      (The News you see listed below are compiled weekly from DharmaNews)
      To get the latest news faster, send a blank mail to Dharmanews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      )

      [PKS] Talks By Ven Tenzin Palmo
      [
      AP] Book-Signing by Venerable Tenzin Palmo
      [PKS] Awaken Buddhist Course
      [PKS] A Vesak Night of Musical Celebration
      [TC] At Book Fair/ Great Love in Tsunami Disaster
      [BMWS] New Buddhism Course
      [BBDC] 16 Day Avatamsaka Sutra Recitation
      [TBA] Ven Pannyavaro's Talk
      [NUSBS] Camp Ehi Passiko 2005

      [BF] Managing Relationships & Politics: Office & Home/ Mind Over Matter
      [BF] Buddhist Youth Conference: Aspirations - Take Charge of Your Life!
      [FKS]
      May/June/Jul Activities
      [HIT] Vesak Specials
      [BMWS] Happy Vesak Family Day Fun Fair
      [Youth Buddhist Chapter] Young Buddhist Camp: Music, Buddhism & the City
      [
      NUSBS] 10-Day Metta Meditation Retreat
      [
      KYCL] 7-Day Zen Meditation Retreat
      [
      DR] May's Dharma Resonance
      [BF] Ajahn Sujata Metta Meditation Retreat
      [
      MV] Meditation Retreat by Ven Pannyavaro
      kmsYM: May *w*s*d*p (Weekly Spiritual Development Program)
      26/05: Joyful Living, Learning & Growing - Mind, Body & Medicine
      kmsYM: June *w*s*d*p
      02/06: The Seasons in Life – Being Empowered for your Personal Journey
      09/06: What’s The Big Deal About Buddhism? : Video Show cum Discussion
      16/06: T
      he Buddhist Unconditional Love - Applying Love In Difficult Situations
      18/06 & 25/06: What’s So Great About Buddhism? What Is It All About? - Q&A Session
      23/06: Music of the Night: Buddhist Hymns & Devotions 3 - Singalong cum Sharing Session
      30/06: How Buddhism Had Changed My Way of Life
      [RBS] Dhammapada Course
      [AFR] Art Therapy Workshops (Children & Adults)
      [
      AFR] General Yoga
      [AFR] Talk about Your Children (Interactive Parenting Workshop)
      [
      AFC] Children Yoga Class

      [BMWS] Rediscover Your innate-self with Exploratory Experimental & Experiential Counselling
      [SYCC] Charity Anniversary Dinner (Date Change)
      [
      SYCC] Mindful Recycling @ Shan You (Jumble Sale)
      [SYCC] Your Path to Mindfulness: 4 Session Meditation Package
      [
      KYCL] The Whole World is a Single Flower - Zen in Modern Life
      [
      KYCL] May/June Activities
      [VMC] Pa-Auk Retreat
      FireFly Mission 2005: Sri Lanka
      Other Events in Chinese
      More Events before/after 27/05

      World News

      ______
      Notices

      Sg: Buddhist Studies Teacher for Pr Sch Kids Needed
      [Buddhist Lighthouse] Support Buddhists in Prison
      [CASonline] Retreat Monks
      [CASonline] Vesak Treats
      Sg: Monk needs residence-practice centre
      Sg: Design Engineer Needed / Woodlands Rm for Rent
      [OJCS] Voluntary Opportunities & Upcoming Volunteer Training Courses
      [MFT] Admin Officer for Fundraising & Volunteer Development Needed
      [PKS] Snr Procurement Exe. Needed
      [Bodhicitta] Latest CD Release
      Funds Needed for Sayadaw Silananda's Health
      [MWA] Student Care Programme Officer Needed
      [TLC] Student Care Teacher (Contract) Needed
      [SLM] Part Time Admin Staff Needed
      [SLM] Chinese Website Content Editor Needed
      [SLM] Volunteer Tutors Needed
      [ZBCSC] General Operations Staff Needed
      [MCC] Needed: Supervisor, Teachers, Childcare Assistant, Infant Care Teacher
      [KS] Childcare Teacher Urgently Needed
      [KS] Admin. Exec, Teachers & Cook Needed
      [KS] Helping Children with Learning Disabilities
      [KS] Helping Children with ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia & Emotional Problems
      [PKS] Building Executive Needed
      Sg: Vege Chef Needed 1|2
      Sg: Vege Café Operations Asst & Flyer Distributors Needed
      [
      SBF] Temp Staff for Event Coordination Needed | Project Executive Needed

      Op Kohomahdhah - Post Tsunami Project in Sri Lanka
      Looking for English Teachers to teach in Thailand
      India: Translation Needed on Mahabodhi Temple
      [HIT] Admin Clerk Needed
      [SPBS] The Lotus 2005: Request for Ads & Donations
      Fundraising for Pa-Auk Monastery
      [BMWS] Clerk Needed
      Other Notices in Chinese
      More Notices before/after 27/05
      See http://thedailyenlightenment.com/pjnew for Chinese version. To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com .TDE-Weekly (TheDailyEnlightenment.com) is a free multi-traditional Dharma inspiration e-newsletter (members:20,000+) run by www.kmspks.org. Please support us by contributing articles and encouraging friends to subscribe. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment@.... The opinions in the articles, and those of event organisers do not necessarily reflect ours. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors and are not to be reproduced without permission.