FIFA Dharma

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2002
      TDE Weekly E-Newsletter- 3 July 2002

      ~ May You Be Well & Happy ~
      TDE Weekly Newsletter ~ 03/07/02

      We should be busy as a bodhisattva, not to be busy for a worldly life.
      To give visible materials to others is to give invisible blessings for yourself.

      (
      Master Cheng Yen)
      Message in disarray or see no pictures? Get plain text version by emailing tde-plaintext-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      or see this issue online at http://asp.thedailyenlightenment.com/3.htm
       Realisation: How to Enjoy
           the World Cup Twice as Much

           The secret to having a better time      chasing ball on TV 4 years later!

      Flash Cartoon-
          "Sayings of the Buddha" here!

          By Tsai Chih Chung
          & Buddhanet
       Excerpt: There are No
           Sentient Beings to Be Saved!

           Ven. Hsing Yun explains
           why saving "everyone"
           is helping no one!

      Flash Cartoon-
          "Multi-tasking" here!

          One thing at a time...
          and muti-tasking all the time!
       Animal Liberation
           Balancing
           Compassion with Wisdom-
           Considering its Pros & Cons

      See Updated Chinese TDE!
           Click to See & Send to Join
           To be launched soon

       "Help-Chanting" for the Dying
      Update on
           Open Chinese Dharma Exams

       Other Events & Notices

       TDE is constantly
           in Search of Original      Realisation Articles!

      Write us now!
           Share with 11,700 TDErs!

      Click here for TDE Logo Meaning

      Realisation: How to Enjoy the World Cup Twice as Much

      (Rejoicing in Merit in the World Cup Season)

      Zeph: I don't watch football or much sports in general because it disturbs my mind.
      Lynn: What do you mean?
      Z: Well, you have to take a side to really enjoy the game- and your heart goes up and down with your team and its opponents' near misses and goals! In fact, it is a subtle interplay of greed and hatred for the audience!
      L: Haha... it need not be that way for you- even though it might be so for most audiences and the footballers themselves.

      Z: How else? It's competition- civilised war with rules- about victory and defeat! Just look at the tears of ecstasy and agony for the players and supporters! Samsara in a stadium!
      L: Well, that's the general way things are- not ideal of course. But there is an alternative way to enjoy the World Cup and sports in general.
      Z: I'm listening...

      L: I call it "How to Enjoy the World Cup Twice as Much"! Instead of taking a side while watching a match, why not rejoice for each and very goal scored by both teams?
      Z: Where's the "kick" then?
      L: The "kick" is doubled! Get the kick from both teams' rejoice when they score! Get a kick from impartially seeing the beauty of each goal! Why feel down for near misses by the team you favour and the goals the other team score? Why is it necessary to lessen our happiness when it can be doubled? Why put ourselves through ups and downs of pleasure and displeasure, gain and loss when the calm equanimity of true sportsmanship is better? Of course, wanting to see the game in the first place already involves some craving, but you can always enjoy the beautiful game in a more beautiful way!
      Z: Interesting... I can't help but agree with you. Let me practise this in 4 years' time for the next World Cup!
      L: May the best team win. Our anguish and excitement in front of the TV screen has no part to play in really helping them. Just sit back, relax and watch the action! And watch your mind too! See how it goes! Does it gets disturbed? Does it get carried away by the ball?...
      Z: Haha... football meditation! Cure for soccermania and footballitis! Better late than never!

      - zeph@... &
      lynn@...

      Excerpt: There are No Sentient beings to be Saved!

      The Buddha says, "While saving the infinite, illimitable, innumerable sentient beings, realise that in reality there are no sentient beings to be saved."

      No sentient being has a permanent or absolute self. There are no absolute coordinates that can define selfhood or individuality. Our notions of having separate selves are delusions that spring from misunderstanding who we really are. To say that the noton of individuality is based on delusion is not to say hat there is no such thing as awareness. Ultimately the delusive awareness that believes it is a individual self will come to understand that it is not an individual, but that of a much greater whole; ultimately it will understand that it is a Buddha.

      The Buddha taught that sentient beings suffer because they do not realise that their "selves" are empty. A bodhisattva seeks to save them by helping them realise that, while they do not have an absolute self-nature, they do have an absolute buddha nature. Their buddha nature rests in nirvana. Sentient beings attain nirvana when they free themselves from the delusions of having a separate self. The apparent contradiction between not having a self and having other selves is one of the most important themes of the Diamond Sutra.

      -Describing the Indescribable: A Commentary on the Diamond Sutra
       (Venerable Master Hsing Yun)
      [Available @ Awareness Place]

      Events

      (The News you see listed below are compiled weekly from DharmaNews)
      To get the latest news faster, send a blank mail to Dharmanews@... )

      [PKS] Update on Open Chinese Dharma Examinations
      [BL] Key to Pali Suttas
      [PKS] Chinese Dharma Talk on "Help-Chanting for the Dying"
      [BBT] Chinese Talks by Dr Ang Beng Choo
      [Shuang Lin Buddhist Temple] Dharma Celebrations
      Ren Ci Vegetarian Food-Fiesta
      [BBDC] Recitation of Sutra of the Past Vows of Earth Store Bodhisattva
      [ABC] Nyung Nay at Kopan Monastery- 13-19 July
      [Dzogchen Shri Singha Buddhist Center] Dzogchen Event Schedule
      [KCKL] The Grand Festival of the Three Precious Kaya 2002 -
                        For World Peace and Removal of Obstacles
      HH the 9th Gangteng Tulku in Singapore
      [KCKL] HH Drikung Chetsang Rinpoche’s Program
      [VMC] July Circular
      [ABC] July Activities
      Click to See Events in Previous TDE

      Notices

      Call for Help- An Appeal on Behalf of a Tibetan Monk (Ven. Buddha Tamang)
            Email for queries here
      [PKS] Launch of Chinese TheDailyEnlightenment -
                     Send in News & Articles Here!
      [TLC] Programme Executive Teaching Staff Needed for TLC Student Care Centre
      [PKS] Sunday & Saturday School Principal Wanted

      [CEF] Care For Elderly Foundation Flag Day

      [NUSBS] Change of Official Email Address

      [CAS] Going To Delhi

      Query on Sayalay Dipankara

      Buddhist Games!

      'Pilgrimage to Mount Kailash/Lake Manasarovar 2002' ~
            Operation Shangri-La
      (See Slideshow)

      Click to See Notices in Previous TDE

      News in the Media

      See http://buddhistnews.tv for recent and latest news

      Other Features

      Click to Go! Or Visit http://TheDailyEnlightenment.com :

      PreviousTDE  TDE-Mainpage  Sitemap  OnlineNews  Calendars  Classifieds  Directories Buddhism&Glossary BeALampUponYourself  TDE-Book1  TDE-zine  Forum  Chat  Polls TDE-Shop  Charity  Guestbook  RecommendTDE  PromoteTDE  Check/SendAnyEmail  FreeTDE-mail QuotesArchive  RealisationsArchive  StoriesArchive  ZephArchive ExcerptsArchive  Post to Us

      About TheDailyEnlightenment.com-Weekly

      TDE-Weekly(http://TheDailyEnlightenment.com) is a FREE non-sectarian multi-traditional international mailing list (Members:10,000+) by Singapore's Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery (http://kmspks.org / tde@...). You can support us by contributing articles and encouraging friends to join by forwarding them this mail.

      Main (full) Subscription Plan (Send blank mail)
      thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      thedailyenlightenmentcn-subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Chinese TDE)

      Subsidiary Subscription Plans (Send blank mail)
      thedailyenlightenment-QUOTE-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-NEWS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-REALISATION-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-EXCERPT-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-LINK-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      thedailyenlightenment-STORY-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Disclaimer & Copyright: The views and opinions of the authors of the above articles, and those of p

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)