RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] nurse cap

  • Judith Cataldo
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2008
      Back when I graduated caps had a plastic-ie coating on them making them sit
      unnaturally on one's head. I made one for myself using a light weight linen
      with a woven interfacing which would have been a light weight buckram. It
      was sewn together right sides facing and turned right side out then
      topstitched 1/8" from the edge. Starched and ironed it sat comfortably on
      my head but was not so stiff it got pushed off by curtains or hanging IVs.
      Not all schools use the black ribbon, some colleges used school colors. The
      band on my cap is 5/8" black velvet held in place by KY Jelly and decorative
      pins at the edge. Some nursed used adhesive tape turned on itself to be
      double sided but nothing holds like surgical jelly! My cap has been in a box
      in the closet for almost 25 years and the ribbon is still stuck. The
      pattern for the Lasell Junior College School of Nursing cap is pretty easy,
      I've uploaded photos to the photo page in the "Red Cross Caps" album

      Judy

      judycat@...
      Colonial Spinning Bee 5/18/08
      http://home.earthlink.net/~judycat/id2.html