RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Making sailor suits?

  • Amy Gembala
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2 6:02 PM
      Hi there,

      When I did Anything Goes a number of years ago we used dark blue pants and
      striped white and navy t-shirts for the sailors (the shirts were actually
      from the women's dept in JCPenneys) with white sailor caps. If you want to
      go the "traditional" military style Burda does have a costume pattern for
      sailor whites. I haven't used it so can't speak to how easy it is to use
      but it is out there.

      Military surplus places are also a good resource for the shirts although
      they can be kinda pricey. It really depends on whether you have more time
      or money. :-)

      Amy

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2 6:59 PM
        You need to find out what it means to the people that are hiring you.
        Does it mean you are expected to do all the designing and constructing
        on your own or do you have help? Every workplace is different and
        these are questions you need to ask and don't feel shy about asking
        them. Being a designer means different things depending on the
        situation. Congrats on getting the job!

        Sylvia

        On Feb 1, 2008, at 5:28 AM, gsbse1 wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I may be doing the costumes for Anything Goes and the one thing that
        > worries me is the
        > sailor uniforms does anyone know either a good resources for
        > purchasing them or a pattern
        > to sew them.
        > This is the first time I'll be working for another school and I'm a
        > little in the dark about what
        > my responsabilities will be and I'm trying to get answers.
        > When you are asked to be the costume designer what do you interpet
        > that to mean.
        > I've only ever worked for one school so this is a little new to me.
        > thanks

      • gsbse1
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4 4:56 AM
          Thanks for responding and yes I did ask exactly what they meant by costumer designer
          and luckily it was exactly what I was thinking it was! I only have two weeks between shows
          but I can pull costumes at the same time I'm costuming Joseph so it works out. I'm excited
          about making more contacts.
          SAM

          -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

          > You need to find out what it means to the people that are hiring you.
          > Does it mean you are expected to do all the designing and constructing
          > on your own or do you have help? Every workplace is different and
          > these are questions you need to ask and don't feel shy about asking
          > them. Being a designer means different things depending on the
          > situation. Congrats on getting the job!
          >
          > Sylvia
          >
          > On Feb 1, 2008, at 5:28 AM, gsbse1 wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > > I may be doing the costumes for Anything Goes and the one thing that
          > > worries me is the
          > > sailor uniforms does anyone know either a good resources for
          > > purchasing them or a pattern
          > > to sew them.
          > > This is the first time I'll be working for another school and I'm a
          > > little in the dark about what
          > > my responsabilities will be and I'm trying to get answers.
          > > When you are asked to be the costume designer what do you interpet
          > > that to mean.
          > > I've only ever worked for one school so this is a little new to me.
          > > thanks

        • gsbse1
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4 4:58 AM
            That's a great idea if the sailor suits are an issue I know I won't have the time to make
            them as there is only two weeks between shows but thnkas also fo rthe suggestion of the
            burda pattern.
            SAM