hardening paper hats

  • showbizkid101
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hey beautiful people-
      Another question from the high school costume designer. I have lots of
      paper hats that need to last thru 6 preformances. What can i spray /
      paint on them to make them last?!?! Any cheap suggestions would be
      greatly appreciated! Thankx!
    • Curtis
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "showbizkid101"
        <showbizkid101@...> wrote:

        > Hey beautiful people-
        > Another question from the high school costume designer. I have lots of
        > paper hats that need to last thru 6 preformances. What can i spray /
        > paint on them to make them last?!?! Any cheap suggestions would be
        > greatly appreciated! Thankx!

        Not being able to see them...what style they are, how heavy they are,
        etc...I'm not sure, but you could try reinforcing them with a
        light-weight fabric and Sobo/White Glue (Elmers, etc)...

        It may be an unnecessary precaution, depending on what they are doing
        with the hats...we had some top hats in our shows last summer that
        made it through 3 months of six shows/night with only occasional work
        (mostly replacing the wire in the brim or sewing the ribbon down
        again, although we did have to go back through and reshape some of the
        hat brims several times a week because the girls held onto them with a
        regulation death grip and bent them in all sorts of interesting
        directions...) They were not OBVIOUSLY paper...but looking at them
        close up, you could also tell they weren't fabric or felt, either.

        Alternately (and more easily), if you can find some acrylic paint that
        matches the color, you can try painting that on. But I would actually
        do as little with them as possible, as it is entirely likely that you
        could end up spending as much in supplies as it would cost you to buy
        a few spare hats (because I've worked with high school kids, and I
        know that no matter how careful you implore them to be, somebody is
        going to do something stupid/careless...)