Re: picture resources?

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2008
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Hope Wright"
      <hopewsew@...> wrote:

      > Instead, someone will ask
      > an "expert" to come, and not only do they have to pay for the program
      > they have to pay transportation and room and meals.
      >
      > What gripes me is I am careful to document my sources, but when I
      > question some of the "expert's" statements and provide documentation
      > as to why I am even asking, I get totally brushed off, no answers or
      > no documentation, or very far-fetched conclusions - by the expert and
      > by the people who hired her. I have to admit that the experience has
      > so soured me that I have nearly stopped all volunteer work at that
      > site. It's one thing not to be asked to do a program, but another
      > thing altogether to be told the expert has to be right just because
      > of their reputation and I don't even matter enough for an answer.

      A prophet has no respect in his own country...or, to quote another
      source (I wish I could remember which film/TV show I saw this one on),
      "An expert is just some guy from out of town, most of the time..."

      For a lot of places, the entire purpose of calling in such experts is
      to wow their audience with the diverse range of people they are able
      to attract...they are not necessarily concerned so much with the
      accuracy of the message delivered by these so-called experts as they
      are whether or not the patrons will be impressed by who it is/where
      they work/who they've worked for/with, etc...because impressive
      credentials make for good copy when they hit people up for
      contributors (to help fund additional visits, of course). It's rare
      that an administrator will look and say, "Y'know, we've got a
      volunteer on staff already who knows all of that stuff...why are we
      paying this guy?" The only time I've ever seen that happening was for
      a western heritage program that was hemorrhaging money, and basically
      got an ultimatum from its board of directors to at least reach a
      break-even point, even if it couldn't make a profit (unfortunately,
      the administrator was so zealous about trying to get as much done for
      free as possible that he ended up alienating most of the
      volunteers...and the program basically folded.)