Stop bath for bleach?

  • Kathy OMalley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008
      I'm curious what people use as a stop bath for bleach. I learned from
      a chemist that vitamin C will work as a stop bath. So if I use bleach
      on a piece of cotton lace, I wash in Orvus, dip it in Emergen-C
      solution, then a fresh orvus wash. But this is for small pieces of
      lace. Does ANYBODY else do this? What about for quantity?
      Kathy
    • tayce12
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        Although I haven't tried it, I've read that 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water
        works.
        Sue

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy OMalley"
        <kathyomalley@...> wrote:

        > I'm curious what people use as a stop bath for bleach. I learned from
        > a chemist that vitamin C will work as a stop bath. So if I use bleach
        > on a piece of cotton lace, I wash in Orvus, dip it in Emergen-C
        > solution, then a fresh orvus wash. But this is for small pieces of
        > lace. Does ANYBODY else do this? What about for quantity?
        > Kathy

      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2008
          i think that i used to use hydrogen peroxide but cannot remember for
          sure-
          checked Google and didn't find anything along those lines but didn't
          search very far-

          this program from HGTV suggests using a product called Anti-Chlor

          http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_instructions/article/0,,HGTV_3302
          _3696791,00.html

          there are sources at the end of the article-