RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: CDV pictures

  • peggy salvail
    Message 1 of 11 , May 17, 2002
      Terri;
      Where would one find these CDV's? I"m interested in
      early California and Arizona fashion 1850's to 1880's
      era. I do costuming for a Historical Play in Southern
      California "The Ramona Pageant" www.ramonapageant.com
      and am always interested in other ideas for costuming.
      Because it is a Play we are not 100% althentic but we
      try to keep as much as we can in the design and style
      of the outfits. Color is an important part of our
      Play. We are entering our 80th season the play was
      first produced in the 1920's. Any ideas from anyone
      would be apprechated Thanks Peggy

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Terri Lee
      Message 2 of 11 , May 17, 2002
        Hi-
        The best source for CDV's and vintage clothing
        is............
        E-BAY, you got it, the selection is the best in the
        world as it comes from all over the world, and
        generally it can tell you when and where such as...
        1870's photo- Wisconsin photographer so you have an
        idea as to when and where it was taken, and some times
        they are identified with a name and a date as well.
        If you can find an idea, buy the photo, most generally
        sell for between 3 and 5.00 with 1.00 for shipping and
        for that price where else are you going to get that
        much acurate information about fashion for such a
        reasonable price.

        Also if you want to see actual vintage articles, look
        at E-Bay, wide varity and selection there as well.
        Many museum pieces being sold for reasonable prices,
        many pieces being sold dirt cheap due to seller not
        knowing what it is, was, or how old it actually is.

        As for period correct colors, I have a list here
        derived from fashion plates, and vintage articles. I
        can not attach it to send through the mail server for
        the list, and for some reason I am unable to copy and
        paste it as well. Anyone interested can e-mail my
        other e-mail address( jtlee@... ), and I will
        send it to them.

        As far as sutlers patterns go. For an adult, I have
        not seen one fit correctly, by the time your done
        altering, and adjusting, your better off having to
        have made your own pattern. As for dressing little
        girls, the same problem arrises and there again your
        better off doing it from scratch.

        Hope that helps all of you.
        Terri

        Message 3 of 11 , May 21, 2002
          Hey I lost the email (well I accidently deleted it I
          guess) telling me where to send for the time period
          colors could you please resend thank you ~ Sal

          Message 4 of 11 , May 21, 2002
            jtlee@... is the address I can send that
            information from.

            --- peggy salvail <psalvail@...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > incorperate the new idea into! Which is fun to.
            > >
            > > Have a great one-
            > > Terri
            > >

            > > --- Holstein <holstein@...> wrote:
            > > > Thanks for the informationon CDV's. You must be
            > > > brilliant to work from those and I bow to your
            > > > superiority. The best I can do is try to get my
            > > > daughter to stay still long enough to measure
            > her
            > > > and draft up a pattern from that, or enlarge
            > > > "authentic" patterns, from books by Janet Arnold
            > > etc
            > > > and make them. I would dearly love to wear
            > these
            > > > beautiful costumes and look good in them but my
            > > body
            > > > is not what it should or could be.
            > > >
            > > > A question: do you have a site with photos of
            > > your
            > > > work? I enjoy looking even if I can't wear.

            === message truncated ===

            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
            http://launch.yahoo.com
          • Barb Moore
            Message 5 of 11 , May 23, 2002
              Everyone,
              I have a link I would like for you to look at. You've
              all been so supportive! Thank you so much!
              Barb
              http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/amazon.html

              LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
              http://launch.yahoo.com