RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: CDV pictures

  • Contessa
    Message 1 of 11 , May 17, 2002

      this web ste as well others have period patterns for children adults and
      there are civil war web sites that have suttlers, which isa name of people who sell merchandise.
      so if you go to like www.ncwa.org  look for the link for sutlers.
       you can buy clothes ready made or get the patterns as well.
      it's a lot easier than trying to measure a child.

      contessa
      Message 2 of 11 , May 17, 2002
        Terri;
        Where would one find these CDV's? I"m interested in
        early California and Arizona fashion 1850's to 1880's
        era. I do costuming for a Historical Play in Southern
        California "The Ramona Pageant" www.ramonapageant.com
        and am always interested in other ideas for costuming.
        Because it is a Play we are not 100% althentic but we
        try to keep as much as we can in the design and style
        of the outfits. Color is an important part of our
        Play. We are entering our 80th season the play was
        first produced in the 1920's. Any ideas from anyone
        would be apprechated Thanks Peggy

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Terri Lee
        Message 3 of 11 , May 17, 2002
          Hi-
          The best source for CDV's and vintage clothing
          is............
          E-BAY, you got it, the selection is the best in the
          world as it comes from all over the world, and
          generally it can tell you when and where such as...
          1870's photo- Wisconsin photographer so you have an
          idea as to when and where it was taken, and some times
          they are identified with a name and a date as well.
          If you can find an idea, buy the photo, most generally
          sell for between 3 and 5.00 with 1.00 for shipping and
          for that price where else are you going to get that
          much acurate information about fashion for such a
          reasonable price.

          Also if you want to see actual vintage articles, look
          at E-Bay, wide varity and selection there as well.
          Many museum pieces being sold for reasonable prices,
          many pieces being sold dirt cheap due to seller not
          knowing what it is, was, or how old it actually is.

          As for period correct colors, I have a list here
          derived from fashion plates, and vintage articles. I
          can not attach it to send through the mail server for
          the list, and for some reason I am unable to copy and
          paste it as well. Anyone interested can e-mail my
          other e-mail address( jtlee@... ), and I will
          send it to them.

          As far as sutlers patterns go. For an adult, I have
          not seen one fit correctly, by the time your done
          altering, and adjusting, your better off having to
          have made your own pattern. As for dressing little
          girls, the same problem arrises and there again your
          better off doing it from scratch.

          Hope that helps all of you.
          Terri

          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • peggy salvail
          Message 4 of 11 , May 21, 2002
            Hey I lost the email (well I accidently deleted it I
            guess) telling me where to send for the time period
            colors could you please resend thank you ~ Sal

            Message 5 of 11 , May 21, 2002
              jtlee@... is the address I can send that
              information from.

              --- peggy salvail <psalvail@...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > incorperate the new idea into! Which is fun to.
              > >
              > > Have a great one-
              > > Terri
              > >

              > > --- Holstein <holstein@...> wrote:
              > > > Thanks for the informationon CDV's. You must be
              > > > brilliant to work from those and I bow to your
              > > > superiority. The best I can do is try to get my
              > > > daughter to stay still long enough to measure
              > her
              > > > and draft up a pattern from that, or enlarge
              > > > "authentic" patterns, from books by Janet Arnold
              > > etc
              > > > and make them. I would dearly love to wear
              > these
              > > > beautiful costumes and look good in them but my
              > > body
              > > > is not what it should or could be.
              > > >
              > > > A question: do you have a site with photos of
              > > your
              > > > work? I enjoy looking even if I can't wear.

              === message truncated ===

              LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
              http://launch.yahoo.com
            • Barb Moore
              Message 6 of 11 , May 23, 2002
                Everyone,
                I have a link I would like for you to look at. You've
                all been so supportive! Thank you so much!
                Barb
                http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/amazon.html

                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                http://launch.yahoo.com