RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] wig/hat blocks

  • Susan Cassidy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
      Sally Beauty has Styrofoam heads for about $3

      _____

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sandrew <jinx_hardy@...>
          wrote:

          > Our shop bought a bunch from a beauty shop supply store - maybe
          Sally Beauty? Try a local cosmetologist school/hairdresser school -
          even beauty salons might have a place to order from.

          A cosmetology school might even have some of the canvas ones, if they
          do much work with wigs in their program. Special Effect Supply,
          online, has canvas ones available (in their Kryolan product line) and
          could probably arrange expedited shipping of some sort, but I have no
          idea how long it would take them to get one from Kryolan in the first
          place.

          But, as mentioned above (and in other posts), Sally Beauty is a good
          source for them in a pinch. We end up ordering them in bulk every few
          years, depending on how many new wigs we end up incorporating into our
          shows. (Which reminds me, I need to find a less-bulky way of storing
          our non-character-specific wigs...)
        • Paula McWhirter-Buck
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
            --- Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:

            (Which reminds me, I need to find a less-bulky way of storing
            > our non-character-specific wigs...)

            i brush the tangles out of them, then turn them inside out (stuffing
            the hair inside the cap)...secure them with the size adjustment bands
            (if they dont have those, i use brass safety pins so they dont rust).
            i label them (example:
            shoulder length/curly...short/wavey...etc. since you can see the
            shade, i dont bother with that info)
            the long ones, i comb out the tangles and loosley braid them before
            turning them inside out.
            i store them in the clear plastic tubs according to colour.

            blessings,
            paula

            Be a better friend, newshound, and