Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] wig/hat blocks

  • Paula McWhirter-Buck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
      we used to sell or give old styrofoam ones away at the costume shop
      where i used to work....or a wig shop, maybe.
      i got my canvas ones on ebay...cheap...but not fast.

      blessings,
      paula

      --- Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone found any local sources for styrofoam wig blocks? I need
      > make a hat and realize I need s head to pattern it on. I don't have
      > time to order one and am wondering if there might be some chain store
      >
      > that carries them. Of course I'd really like a canvas wig block
      > but
      > I know I can't find any of those locally. I figure a styrofoam one
      > will do in a pinch.
      >
      > Sylrog

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Susan Cassidy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
        Sally Beauty has Styrofoam heads for about $3

        _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sandrew <jinx_hardy@...>
            wrote:

            > Our shop bought a bunch from a beauty shop supply store - maybe
            Sally Beauty? Try a local cosmetologist school/hairdresser school -
            even beauty salons might have a place to order from.

            A cosmetology school might even have some of the canvas ones, if they
            do much work with wigs in their program. Special Effect Supply,
            online, has canvas ones available (in their Kryolan product line) and
            could probably arrange expedited shipping of some sort, but I have no
            idea how long it would take them to get one from Kryolan in the first
            place.

            But, as mentioned above (and in other posts), Sally Beauty is a good
            source for them in a pinch. We end up ordering them in bulk every few
            years, depending on how many new wigs we end up incorporating into our
            shows. (Which reminds me, I need to find a less-bulky way of storing
            our non-character-specific wigs...)
          • Paula McWhirter-Buck
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
              --- Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:

              (Which reminds me, I need to find a less-bulky way of storing
              > our non-character-specific wigs...)

              i brush the tangles out of them, then turn them inside out (stuffing
              the hair inside the cap)...secure them with the size adjustment bands
              (if they dont have those, i use brass safety pins so they dont rust).
              i label them (example:
              shoulder length/curly...short/wavey...etc. since you can see the
              shade, i dont bother with that info)
              the long ones, i comb out the tangles and loosley braid them before
              turning them inside out.
              i store them in the clear plastic tubs according to colour.

              blessings,
              paula

              Be a better friend, newshound, and