wig/hat blocks

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
      Has anyone found any local sources for styrofoam wig blocks? I need to
      make a hat and realize I need s head to pattern it on. I don't have
      time to order one and am wondering if there might be some chain store
      that carries them. Of course I'd really like a canvas wig block but
      I know I can't find any of those locally. I figure a styrofoam one
      will do in a pinch.

      Sylrog
    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
        we used to sell or give old styrofoam ones away at the costume shop
        where i used to work....or a wig shop, maybe.
        i got my canvas ones on ebay...cheap...but not fast.

        blessings,
        paula

        --- Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone found any local sources for styrofoam wig blocks? I need
        > make a hat and realize I need s head to pattern it on. I don't have
        > time to order one and am wondering if there might be some chain store
        >
        > that carries them. Of course I'd really like a canvas wig block
        > but
        > I know I can't find any of those locally. I figure a styrofoam one
        > will do in a pinch.
        >
        > Sylrog

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Susan Cassidy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2008
          Sally Beauty has Styrofoam heads for about $3

          _____

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sandrew <jinx_hardy@...>
              wrote:

              > Our shop bought a bunch from a beauty shop supply store - maybe
              Sally Beauty? Try a local cosmetologist school/hairdresser school -
              even beauty salons might have a place to order from.

              A cosmetology school might even have some of the canvas ones, if they
              do much work with wigs in their program. Special Effect Supply,
              online, has canvas ones available (in their Kryolan product line) and
              could probably arrange expedited shipping of some sort, but I have no
              idea how long it would take them to get one from Kryolan in the first
              place.

              But, as mentioned above (and in other posts), Sally Beauty is a good
              source for them in a pinch. We end up ordering them in bulk every few
              years, depending on how many new wigs we end up incorporating into our
              shows. (Which reminds me, I need to find a less-bulky way of storing
              our non-character-specific wigs...)
            • Paula McWhirter-Buck
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 10, 2008
                --- Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:

                (Which reminds me, I need to find a less-bulky way of storing
                > our non-character-specific wigs...)

                i brush the tangles out of them, then turn them inside out (stuffing
                the hair inside the cap)...secure them with the size adjustment bands
                (if they dont have those, i use brass safety pins so they dont rust).
                i label them (example:
                shoulder length/curly...short/wavey...etc. since you can see the
                shade, i dont bother with that info)
                the long ones, i comb out the tangles and loosley braid them before
                turning them inside out.
                i store them in the clear plastic tubs according to colour.

                blessings,
                paula

                Be a better friend, newshound, and