expanding foam use

  • gsbse1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2008
      I need to make 4 enubus heads for Joseph and the technicolar dream coat and am
      considering using that canned expanding foam and bike helmets. I want the "heads to sort of
      sit on the kids heads instead of covering their whole faces.

      My question is I was thinking of using a 1/2 footing tube to make the basic shape and carve
      down from there but wonder what I can use to prevent the foam from sticking to the
      cardborad tube half.

      Any suggestions?
      SAM
    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2008
        i'd try lining the cardboard tube with something...aluminum foil, or
        whatever will take a shape without shifting while you work.

        blessings,
        paula

        --- gsbse1 <gsbse1@...> wrote:

        > I need to make 4 enubus heads for Joseph and the technicolar dream
        > coat and am
        > considering using that canned expanding foam and bike helmets. I want
        > the "heads to sort of
        > sit on the kids heads instead of covering their whole faces.
        >
        > My question is I was thinking of using a 1/2 footing tube to make the
        > basic shape and carve
        > down from there but wonder what I can use to prevent the foam from
        > sticking to the
        > cardborad tube half.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        > SAM

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • cleve hall
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2008
          It would take so much of that canned stuff to build up
          a form and it doesnt foam very consistantly. I would
          suggest carving it out of a florist block of foam (you
          can sand it smooth but don't breath in the dust from
          it, wear a paper particle mask) then coat it with a
          water based glue like Elmers. Good luck!

          Cleve
          --- Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2008
            I had made a smaller one from floral foam to use as a model I hadn't thought to glue it
            together I used skewers but if elmers would work I could make it large enough from that
            kind of foam. I also tried making my own plaster bandages to strengthen it. So maybe I'll
            try going that way first, I need to paint it gold as well which is why I also thought of the
            bandages.
            If anyone has more suggestions I'm open to them!
            SAM
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, cleve hall <mechagothzilla@...>