RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] pupetry and costume

  • Sarah P
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
      To address the problem and to answer Lisa's "Peach" query: The leather core is a good idea. Incorporate a technique I used for my "Peach" worm head, and attach foam segments to the core that interlock like loosely stacked funnels (covered in fabric or something so they can slide without too much friction.) Cover this with a skin of fabric sandwiched with batting (to hide the segments), and weight the last 6-8" of the tail tip with canola seed or something in a fabric pocket attached to the last segment (to provide weighted movement).

      For the worm head: I used a felt coif-cap and attached fabric-covered foam segments to a spring-steel bone that was weighted in the top segment by a bead or lead sinker (can't remember which I used.) Very effective! ^_^ The rest of the costume was built using fabric-covered foam segments attached to a body suit, with separated legs and feet from just above the knees. Covered shoes with the segments, too. But that was our design requirement, too.

      And I'm not giving out company designs or methods--this is a method I developed to meet the design requirement the designer and script asked for. I caught flack from my supervisor for "not listening to her", but in the end I won 'cause it was exactly what the designer wanted and couldn't put into exact-enough words to suit the craft super. I like the idea for a leather core for tails! A strip of heavy leather.... I need to share this with folks back a work! I like the sharing of information. It helps all of us crafters increase our knowledge base and spawns new insight into solving design functions. ^_^ And as I no longer am working in theatre, I'd like to pass-on the methods I've learned so others can know them. (If anyone is looking for a crafter/milliner, I'd be interested.)

      --Sarah

      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.comFrom: wyldbratling@...: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:48:08 -0800Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] pupetry and costume

      Does anyone have an idea for how to make a serpent tail that moves back andforth when you walk?? I was thinking of doing pulleys that attach to thelegs inside the costume, but I want to have it move in two parts, so it getsthat wiggle like a snakes does. so the tip would be going right while theback half goes left, the rest would up in the leg to torso region. I'mmaking a Naga costume.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • marian brock-andersen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
        I think unfortunatly PVC would be to heavy, the tail would be fom knees to
        ground and then graduate from their to the tip of the tail, I was thinking
        of making it hollow and using hoopwire rings for structure covered in the
        fabric and plating which will be made out of wonderflex and craft foam, it
        will also have a sail down the sipe, not sure what the will be made of just
        yet.

        On 1/6/08, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

        > PVC pipe - in graduated sizes. You need sections of different
        > lengths, with extended tabs on one end. You then drill holes in
        > those tabs, and in the flat base of the previous section. Connect
        > them together with cotter pins - they look like a bobby pin - slide
        > into the hole, slide a small washer over the end, then bend the ends
        > apart to secure. A friend did a cat-alien tail using this technique,
        > and it looked properly cattish.... There might even be toy snakes
        > that use this technique also - look for the lightweight plastic ones.
        >
        > Here's a link to a not-so-good picture:
        >
        > http://www.swcp.com/~mirhaxa/mcon/mcon1.htm
        >
        > Sandy
        >
        > At 06:41 PM 1/6/2008, you wrote:
        >
        > >On Jan 6, 2008, at 12:48 PM, marian brock-andersen wrote:
        > >
        > > > Does anyone have an idea for how to make a serpent tail that moves
        > back and
        > > > forth when you walk?? I was thinking of doing pulleys that attach to
        > the
        > > > legs inside the costume, but I want to have it move in two parts,
        > > so it gets
        > > > that wiggle like a snakes does. so the tip would be going right while
        > the
        > > > back half goes left, the rest would up in the leg to torso
        > > region. I'm making a Naga
        > > > costume.
        > >
        > >You might try doing what they do to make those wooden moving snakes.
        > >They have a leather (or other thick material) strip that functions as
        > >the core. Then graduated size wooden bits are glued around the
        > >leather. <http://tinyurl.com/ywuulh>http://tinyurl.com/ywuulh
        > >
        > >I'm not suggesting you use wood, but the principle probably works the
        > >same with other materials. Just make sure whatever you use as the
        > >core is strong enough to handle whatever you're using as the "meat"
        > >of the snake.
        > >
        > >Megan Lynch
        >
        > "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly --
        > Why They Are Simply Doomed.
        >
        > Achemdro'hm
        > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        > -- C.Y. 4971
        >
        > Andromeda

      • cleve hall
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
          See if you can locate a source for a dense microcel
          foam called L200 or Microcel (200 pores per square
          inch) Get it in 1/2 thick sheet. It is light weight
          and you can make a conical tail form from it, then
          slice it into sctions and cover it in fabric, then
          foam. As far as the mechanics of swishing it, I
          usually achieve this by really exagerating my hip
          movement from side to side while walking.

          Cleve
          --- marian brock-andersen <wyldbratling@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
            L200 thats like a craft foam right? I think I have a link to that someplace
            on the web.