RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for help making heads of ethnic children for adult size costume

  • Sarah P
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
      Hi,

      I've built costumes of this sort and of full body costumes like this for the theatre. Foam is exceedingly hot to wear, and I avoid it wherever I can. For such a costume piece such as a head, my preference is to use chicken wire as a base for a fabric covering, and to use black cotton gauze material in the mouth (or whatever color is needed, I usually dye what I need.) The chicken wire I attach to a hat, like an inexspensive construction hardhat, through which I've drilled holes and run a wire support frame through, and added a chin strap like on a bike helmet (to keep the arrangement in place on the person's head.) The interior battery-operated exhaust fan is a good idea...do the eyes' background in gauze and vent through the eyes (if they're big enough.) By building on a chicken wire frame with fabric, it allows for a much cooler costume, and you can sew through the fabric to add hair, features, or whatever. Ears and nose could easily be stuffed attachments. And the edges of the chicken wire should be turned under, padded, and trimmed with wide bias tape or fabric to match. Just make sure all ends of the wire are secured so as to not poke anywhere. While still hot, it'll be less so than the traditional mascot head. And fabric can be gotten in whatever texture will suit...and remember it's all on a parade float, so keep distance in mind when thinking about texture for the faces (ie, what looks like puppet skin from 15+ feet away?)

      --Sarah

      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.comFrom: thunderstorm@...: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 02:06:23 +0000Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for help making heads of ethnic children for adult size costume

      Hello. I'd like to have people dressed up in mascot type costumes toride on a float in our local parade this summer, and thought I'd seeif this group could give me direction. I'd like the heads of the costume to portray various ethnic children,either cartoon/realistic or resembling a puppet, since we'readvertising a puppet program. I've been finding info on making mascottype heads, but was wondering if someone has done this before so Idon't have to invent it all myself. Are there patterns for thisanywhere? Has anyone done this that can point me to helpful info? Thanks in advanceKJ