Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] pupetry and costume

  • ~lisa.s
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008
      I'd be interested in this kind of information too--I'll be costuming
      "James and the Giant Peach" this spring.

      ~lisa.s

      --
      * llsturtsATgreatlakesDOTnet
    • marian brock-andersen

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008
          On Jan 6, 2008, at 12:48 PM, marian brock-andersen wrote:

          > Does anyone have an idea for how to make a serpent tail that moves
          > back and
          > forth when you walk?? I was thinking of doing pulleys that attach
          > to the
          > legs inside the costume, but I want to have it move in two parts,
          > so it gets
          > that wiggle like a snakes does. so the tip would be going right
          > while the
          > back half goes left, the rest would up in the leg to torso region.
          > I'm
          > making a Naga costume.

          You might try doing what they do to make those wooden moving snakes.
          They have a leather (or other thick material) strip that functions as
          the core. Then graduated size wooden bits are glued around the
          leather. http://tinyurl.com/ywuulh

          I'm not suggesting you use wood, but the principle probably works the
          same with other materials. Just make sure whatever you use as the
          core is strong enough to handle whatever you're using as the "meat"
          of the snake.

          Megan Lynch

          Berkeley, CA

          NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

          Treadle On: My current wishlist is a Bronze Embossed White, Singer
          Cabinet 42 & Chair, Singer Leather Patcher 29 series treadle, Kenmore
          De Luxe 551 Cabinet & Chair, Singer 500 carrying case

        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008
            PVC pipe - in graduated sizes. You need sections of different
            lengths, with extended tabs on one end. You then drill holes in
            those tabs, and in the flat base of the previous section. Connect
            them together with cotter pins - they look like a bobby pin - slide
            into the hole, slide a small washer over the end, then bend the ends
            apart to secure. A friend did a cat-alien tail using this technique,
            and it looked properly cattish.... There might even be toy snakes
            that use this technique also - look for the lightweight plastic ones.

            Here's a link to a not-so-good picture:

            http://www.swcp.com/~mirhaxa/mcon/mcon1.htm

            Sandy

            At 06:41 PM 1/6/2008, you wrote:

            >On Jan 6, 2008, at 12:48 PM, marian brock-andersen wrote:
            >
            > > Does anyone have an idea for how to make a serpent tail that moves back and
            > > forth when you walk?? I was thinking of doing pulleys that attach to the
            > > legs inside the costume, but I want to have it move in two parts,
            > so it gets
            > > that wiggle like a snakes does. so the tip would be going right while the
            > > back half goes left, the rest would up in the leg to torso
            > region. I'm making a Naga
            > > costume.
            >
            >You might try doing what they do to make those wooden moving snakes.
            >They have a leather (or other thick material) strip that functions as
            >the core. Then graduated size wooden bits are glued around the
            >leather. <http://tinyurl.com/ywuulh>http://tinyurl.com/ywuulh
            >
            >I'm not suggesting you use wood, but the principle probably works the
            >same with other materials. Just make sure whatever you use as the
            >core is strong enough to handle whatever you're using as the "meat"
            >of the snake.
            >
            >Megan Lynch

            "Those Who Fail To Learn History
            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
            Why They Are Simply Doomed.

            Achemdro'hm
            "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
            -- C.Y. 4971

            Andromeda
          • Sarah P
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
              To address the problem and to answer Lisa's "Peach" query: The leather core is a good idea. Incorporate a technique I used for my "Peach" worm head, and attach foam segments to the core that interlock like loosely stacked funnels (covered in fabric or something so they can slide without too much friction.) Cover this with a skin of fabric sandwiched with batting (to hide the segments), and weight the last 6-8" of the tail tip with canola seed or something in a fabric pocket attached to the last segment (to provide weighted movement).

              For the worm head: I used a felt coif-cap and attached fabric-covered foam segments to a spring-steel bone that was weighted in the top segment by a bead or lead sinker (can't remember which I used.) Very effective! ^_^ The rest of the costume was built using fabric-covered foam segments attached to a body suit, with separated legs and feet from just above the knees. Covered shoes with the segments, too. But that was our design requirement, too.

              And I'm not giving out company designs or methods--this is a method I developed to meet the design requirement the designer and script asked for. I caught flack from my supervisor for "not listening to her", but in the end I won 'cause it was exactly what the designer wanted and couldn't put into exact-enough words to suit the craft super. I like the idea for a leather core for tails! A strip of heavy leather.... I need to share this with folks back a work! I like the sharing of information. It helps all of us crafters increase our knowledge base and spawns new insight into solving design functions. ^_^ And as I no longer am working in theatre, I'd like to pass-on the methods I've learned so others can know them. (If anyone is looking for a crafter/milliner, I'd be interested.)

              --Sarah

              To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.comFrom: wyldbratling@...: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:48:08 -0800Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] pupetry and costume

              Does anyone have an idea for how to make a serpent tail that moves back andforth when you walk?? I was thinking of doing pulleys that attach to thelegs inside the costume, but I want to have it move in two parts, so it getsthat wiggle like a snakes does. so the tip would be going right while theback half goes left, the rest would up in the leg to torso region. I'mmaking a Naga costume.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • marian brock-andersen
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
                I think unfortunatly PVC would be to heavy, the tail would be fom knees to
                ground and then graduate from their to the tip of the tail, I was thinking
                of making it hollow and using hoopwire rings for structure covered in the
                fabric and plating which will be made out of wonderflex and craft foam, it
                will also have a sail down the sipe, not sure what the will be made of just
                yet.

                On 1/6/08, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

                > PVC pipe - in graduated sizes. You need sections of different
                > lengths, with extended tabs on one end. You then drill holes in
                > those tabs, and in the flat base of the previous section. Connect
                > them together with cotter pins - they look like a bobby pin - slide
                > into the hole, slide a small washer over the end, then bend the ends
                > apart to secure. A friend did a cat-alien tail using this technique,
                > and it looked properly cattish.... There might even be toy snakes
                > that use this technique also - look for the lightweight plastic ones.
                >
                > Here's a link to a not-so-good picture:
                >
                > http://www.swcp.com/~mirhaxa/mcon/mcon1.htm
                >
                > Sandy
                >
                > At 06:41 PM 1/6/2008, you wrote:
                >
                > >On Jan 6, 2008, at 12:48 PM, marian brock-andersen wrote:
                > >
                > > > Does anyone have an idea for how to make a serpent tail that moves
                > back and
                > > > forth when you walk?? I was thinking of doing pulleys that attach to
                > the
                > > > legs inside the costume, but I want to have it move in two parts,
                > > so it gets
                > > > that wiggle like a snakes does. so the tip would be going right while
                > the
                > > > back half goes left, the rest would up in the leg to torso
                > > region. I'm making a Naga
                > > > costume.
                > >
                > >You might try doing what they do to make those wooden moving snakes.
                > >They have a leather (or other thick material) strip that functions as
                > >the core. Then graduated size wooden bits are glued around the
                > >leather. <http://tinyurl.com/ywuulh>http://tinyurl.com/ywuulh
                > >
                > >I'm not suggesting you use wood, but the principle probably works the
                > >same with other materials. Just make sure whatever you use as the
                > >core is strong enough to handle whatever you're using as the "meat"
                > >of the snake.
                > >
                > >Megan Lynch
                >
                > "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly --
                > Why They Are Simply Doomed.
                >
                > Achemdro'hm
                > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                > -- C.Y. 4971
                >
                > Andromeda

              • cleve hall
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
                  See if you can locate a source for a dense microcel
                  foam called L200 or Microcel (200 pores per square
                  inch) Get it in 1/2 thick sheet. It is light weight
                  and you can make a conical tail form from it, then
                  slice it into sctions and cover it in fabric, then
                  foam. As far as the mechanics of swishing it, I
                  usually achieve this by really exagerating my hip
                  movement from side to side while walking.

                  Cleve
                  --- marian brock-andersen <wyldbratling@...>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
                    L200 thats like a craft foam right? I think I have a link to that someplace
                    on the web.