Looking for help making heads of ethnic children for adult size costume

  • kjkkthunderstorm
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hello. I'd like to have people dressed up in mascot type costumes to
      ride on a float in our local parade this summer, and thought I'd see
      if this group could give me direction.

      I'd like the heads of the costume to portray various ethnic children,
      either cartoon/realistic or resembling a puppet, since we're
      advertising a puppet program. I've been finding info on making mascot
      type heads, but was wondering if someone has done this before so I
      don't have to invent it all myself. Are there patterns for this
      anywhere? Has anyone done this that can point me to helpful info?

      Thanks in advance

      KJ
    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2008
        you might try this site...
        http://www.nicodemus.org/fursuit/chairo.php

        BUT...i'd offer the suggestion of going with a headpiece as shown on
        the pattern cover on the right, rather then the full foam head of a
        mascot....since, according to your post, the parade is in the summer
        and those big heads get EXTREMELY HOT even in the winter.
        i've worn them...rented/sold them....seen them being made... but never
        made them myself. but i've heard every story known about people
        passing out from excessive heat (folks share experiences when they
        return rental costumes). so, even the head cover pattern would be a
        bit iffy to be worn for an extended period of time outside in summer,
        since heat escapes the body through the top of the head.

        i know there are patterns out there besides the one shown. the woman i
        worked for used a commercial pattern, but i dont know where it came
        from originally.

        brightest of blessings,
        paula buck

        --- kjkkthunderstorm <thunderstorm@...> wrote:

        > Hello. I'd like to have people dressed up in mascot type costumes to
        > ride on a float in our local parade this summer, and thought I'd see
        > if this group could give me direction.
        >
        > I'd like the heads of the costume to portray various ethnic children,
        > either cartoon/realistic or resembling a puppet, since we're
        > advertising a puppet program. I've been finding info on making mascot
        > type heads, but was wondering if someone has done this before so I
        > don't have to invent it all myself. Are there patterns for this
        > anywhere? Has anyone done this that can point me to helpful info?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > KJ

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2008
          If you go with the heads - from a mascot performer -

          To help with the heat, put one of the small battery-operated personal
          fans inside the head, near the top. Put it so it is blowing OUT of
          the head thru an opening - can be screened, camouflaged behind an
          ear, or whatever, just it needs to blow OUT - this pulls in air from
          below the wearer's face, cooling them, then exhausting the hot air to the top.

          Sandy

          At 03:36 PM 1/6/2008, you wrote:

          >you might try this site...
          ><http://www.nicodemus.org/fursuit/chairo.php>http://www.nicodemus.org/fursuit/chairo.php
          >
          >BUT...i'd offer the suggestion of going with a headpiece as shown on
          >the pattern cover on the right, rather then the full foam head of a
          >mascot....since, according to your post, the parade is in the summer
          >and those big heads get EXTREMELY HOT even in the winter.
          >i've worn them...rented/sold them....seen them being made... but never
          >made them myself. but i've heard every story known about people
          >passing out from excessive heat (folks share experiences when they
          >return rental costumes). so, even the head cover pattern would be a
          >bit iffy to be worn for an extended period of time outside in summer,
          >since heat escapes the body through the top of the head.
          >
          >brightest of blessings,
          >paula buck

          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed.

          Achemdro'hm
          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          -- C.Y. 4971

          Andromeda
        • Sarah P
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
            Hi,

            I've built costumes of this sort and of full body costumes like this for the theatre. Foam is exceedingly hot to wear, and I avoid it wherever I can. For such a costume piece such as a head, my preference is to use chicken wire as a base for a fabric covering, and to use black cotton gauze material in the mouth (or whatever color is needed, I usually dye what I need.) The chicken wire I attach to a hat, like an inexspensive construction hardhat, through which I've drilled holes and run a wire support frame through, and added a chin strap like on a bike helmet (to keep the arrangement in place on the person's head.) The interior battery-operated exhaust fan is a good idea...do the eyes' background in gauze and vent through the eyes (if they're big enough.) By building on a chicken wire frame with fabric, it allows for a much cooler costume, and you can sew through the fabric to add hair, features, or whatever. Ears and nose could easily be stuffed attachments. And the edges of the chicken wire should be turned under, padded, and trimmed with wide bias tape or fabric to match. Just make sure all ends of the wire are secured so as to not poke anywhere. While still hot, it'll be less so than the traditional mascot head. And fabric can be gotten in whatever texture will suit...and remember it's all on a parade float, so keep distance in mind when thinking about texture for the faces (ie, what looks like puppet skin from 15+ feet away?)

            --Sarah

            To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.comFrom: thunderstorm@...: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 02:06:23 +0000Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for help making heads of ethnic children for adult size costume