Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Costume history texts

  • ~lisa.s
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
      Boy, Syl, have I been there with the low enrollment hassle. So I can
      sympathize and be happy for you at the same time.

      These are the three books I teach from:

      Breward, Christopher. The Culture of Fashion. Manchester, UK and New
      York: Manchester University Press. 1995.

      Laver, James. Costume and Fashion. London: Thames and Hudson, rev. ed.,
      2002.
      Nunn, Joan. Fashion in Costume : 1200 - 2000. Chicago, IL: New Amsterdam
      Books, 2000.

      ~lisa.s

      ---

      --
      * llsturtsATgreatlakesDOTnet
    • Debbie Lough
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
        I'd second all of these - also the visual history of
        costume single volume is good (no idea what it's
        selling for at the moment), depending what you're
        teaching - and costume in pictures (though it's had
        various other titles) by phyllis cunnington is also
        good.

        and naomi tarrant's development of costume is
        excellent - I considered it inexpensive when I bought
        it, (in the uk) but no idea how the price translates
        to the states (as in expensive or not).

        Debbie

        Breward, Christopher. The Culture of Fashion.
        Manchester, UK and New
        York: Manchester University Press. 1995.

        Laver, James. Costume and Fashion. London: Thames and
        Hudson, rev. ed.,
        2002.
        Nunn, Joan. Fashion in Costume : 1200 - 2000. Chicago,
        IL: New Amsterdam
        Books, 2000.

        ~lisa.s
      • haileen77
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
          What time period is the class? (Or is it everything?)

          If it's 20th Century, the "20th Century Fashion by Mendes/de la Haye" is
          fairly comprehensive (though a bit british-centric).

          Heather A. Vaughan
          Fashion, Costume & Textile Historian

          Email: <mailto:haileen77@...> haileen77@...
          WEB ADDRESS: <http://www.geocities.com/haileen77/index.htm>
          www.geocities.com/haileen77/index.htm

        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008
            It's an overview of costume history. I have Laver's book (an old
            edition) and while it's cheap, I am not that fond of it.

            Sylrogt

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2008
              I got the Nunn book from the library today. It's hard to find costume
              history texts that go up to 2000, but has anyone else found that her
              sketches of designs from the 1980s and 1990s do not seem to be
              representative of typical styles for those decades at all? I'm
              certainly old enough to remember what we were wearing in those times
              and what happened to giant shoulder pads, ruffled blouses, denim
              prairie skirts and dropped waists? Or Flashdance sweatshirts, dolman
              sleeves and oversized anything? At least for the 80s. I've found
              the 90s a little harder to sum up, except that styles got closer
              fitting to the body.

              Sylrog