sewing machines

  • guthrie12000
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2007
      Hi all-

      I work for a costume manufacturing shop and we are on the search for
      new sewing machines. We use our machines everyday and are pretty tough
      on them. We don't do many fancy stitches, just push a lot of fabric
      through them. Anyone have any recommendations?

      Thanks
      PA
    • lanorte1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2007
        I have a Bernette which I've used for the past 20+ years, and it's been a real workhorse.? I get it cleaned once per year and get the tension checked.? It's sewn through leather, denim, upholstery and everything else you can think of.? I can't recommend this one highly enough.

        Donna

        I work for a costume manufacturing shop and we are on the search for
        new sewing machines. We use our machines everyday and are pretty tough
        on them. We don't do many fancy stitches, just push a lot of fabric
        through them. Anyone have any recommendations?

        Thanks
        PA

      • Paula McWhirter-Buck
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2007
          i dont know where you are...but a blue jeans manufacturer just went out
          of business (i worked there for 10 years in my much younger daze).
          they're selling off hundreds of industrial sewing machines...all
          kinds...digital and manual.
          embroidery machines, flat felling machines, straight stitch machines,
          bar tackers, hemmers, and safety stitch/overlock machines. some use
          chain stiches, others use bobbins. there are pfaffs, brothers, singers
          and union specials. several are very new looking, but the ones that
          arent have been very well maintained.
          i dont know how much longer they'll be available, since the plant is
          trying to get moved out of their building asap.
          but they are in western north carolina (micaville, nc to be
          exact...north of asheville).
          the man to contact is sam cook...his email address is sam@...

          i hit them up for left over fabric and got about 50 still wrapped bolts
          of black denim and white denim...different weights. and several more
          of blue denim. along with boxes of cones of thread. all of this stuff
          they donated to the college and summer stock theatres where i work as
          designer/shop supervisor. i think that was pretty much it for the free
          stuff, though.

          they're selling off EVERYTHING in the place. cutting tables and
          cutters, buggies, tables, chairs, computers, desks, file cabinets...you
          name it.

          i'd recommend looking into things like that (closing factories, i mean)
          for extremely great deals on good machines.

          blessings,
          paula

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Trim Fairy
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2007
            If I may ask, how did you find out about this place closing? I WISH I lived closer...I'm in Southwestern Florida.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs