Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Question:

  • llsturts@greatlakes.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
      Check out a medical supply store--I've always had good luck using surgical
      adhesive on actors.

      ~lisa.s

    • llsturts@greatlakes.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
        To add to my first reply to this question; I couldn't remember the name of
        the product and had to do a bit of digging to find it:

        Pros-AideII was the adhesive used on appliances for the 'Beast' in the
        Broadway version of "Beauty and the Beast". I figured if thatÂ’s what they
        used, it might be good stuff. It is. I used it recently on a full beard
        for an actor who sweated profusely, with no problem.

        Make sure it's Pros-AideII, which has been adapted for FX use. The
        originally Pros-Aide was developed for use burn victims, and had some
        major issues for makeup application removal and clean up.

        ~lisa.s

        > Been playing Santa for several years and have always used a beard that
        > used elastic over the back of the head. Recieved a new beard and mustach
        > that look great. I tried to get the spirit gum to work but I must be
        > doing something wrong. It is no where near what I would need to have
        > because I do get a tug on the beard every once and a while. I have heard
        > that tupe tape might work but have no idea where to even look for it. Any
        > other suggestions? I have a couple of weeks before I have to read to
        > about 50 kids so I have a day or two get it it right. Thanks for any and
        > all help.
      • Paula McWhirter-Buck
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
          a wig store will have tupe tape...
          or a costume shop
          or an evening gown store (they use it to keep strapless gowns in
          place).
          i've used the PERMANENT double sided tape, too...you can get that
          anywhere that carries scotch tape.

          --- llsturts@... wrote:

          > Check out a medical supply store--I've always had good luck using
          > surgical
          > adhesive on actors.
          >
          > ~lisa.s
          >
          > > Been playing Santa for several years and have always used a beard
          > that
          > > used elastic over the back of the head. Recieved a new beard and
          > mustach
          > > that look great. I tried to get the spirit gum to work but I must
          > be
          > > doing something wrong. It is no where near what I would need to
          > have
          > > because I do get a tug on the beard every once and a while. I have
          > heard
          > > that tupe tape might work but have no idea where to even look for
          > it. Any
          > > other suggestions? I have a couple of weeks before I have to read
          > > about 50 kids so I have a day or two get it it right. Thanks for
          > any and
          > > all help.

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Curtis
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2007
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Dallas ODell
            <dallasodell@...> wrote:

            > Been playing Santa for several years and have always used a beard
            that used elastic over the back of the head. Recieved a new beard and
            mustach that look great. I tried to get the spirit gum to work but I
            must be doing something wrong. It is no where near what I would need
            to have because I do get a tug on the beard every once and a while. I
            have heard that tupe tape might work but have no idea where to even
            look for it. Any other suggestions? I have a couple of weeks before
            I have to read to about 50 kids so I have a day or two get it it
            right. Thanks for any and all help.
            Don't use toupee tape, it won't stand up to the tugging much better
            than spirit gum. Prosthetic adhesive or surgical adhesive will likely
            be your best bets...just make sure you get the appropriate adhesive
            remover to go with it, and be prepared to spend a little time every
            couple of applications to remove adhesive residue from the beard, or
            else you'll end up with a very visible build-up around the edges
            (wouldn't be much of a problem for stage work, but where you'll be
            up-close-and-personal...)

            Kryolan makes a very good prosthetic adhesive...Ben Nye has an okay
            one, it's not quite as solid as the Kryolan. Mavidon makes an
            excellent general-purpose adhesive remover, if you can't find a
            specific remover for the brand. Any better-quality theatrical makeup
            supplier should either have these in stock or should be able to order
            them in very short order. If you can't find them locally, check out
            Special Effect Supply's online ordering system, I've done a lot of
            business with them and they are very prompt in taking care of orders
            and can ship to you (pretty much anywhere in the world...) I've used
            the Kryolan adhesive for Beauty and the Beast, Titanic the Musical,
            and two or three other shows, without a single problem.